cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Needhelp1
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Web advisor slowing Chrome

I've been using Web Advisor for years but something happened in the past 2 weeks. Many chrome pages load very slowly where it seems like the ads within the pages take forever to load which causes the page to freeze. At first I didn't think it had anything to do with Web Advisor but when I turned off the extension within Chrome it immediately fixed the issue

Anyone else have the same issue or can tell me why this all of a sudden happened?

12 Replies
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 13

Re: Web advisor slowing Chrome

Hi @Needhelp1 

We regret for the inconvenience!

Kindly let us know the following to assist you with the issue

Product Suite:
Operating System Version:
Screen shot of the issue:

Regards,
Hari Durairaj

deancent
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I started experiencing the same issue. It brought my entire system to its knees while chrome was open. I thought I had a virus, restarted my pc twice and continued to face the issue where I literally could not have google chrome running. One of the devs at mcafee seriously screwed up the code somewhere and there seems to be a memory leak or something. I was seeing massive spikes in CPU usage caused by the mcafee chrome extension. Disabling the extension resulted in everything going back to normal and more importantly, allowing me to use chrome again.
DJ_Matty
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

I noticed a real slowdown in chrome over the last couple of weeks. I did a full reset on chrome and everything was fine. Once I turned webadvisor back on, webpages were really slow to load again.... Goodbye webadvisor. And if not resolved soon, goodbye to McAfee.

luso2kx
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Same with me.  I've been having major memory leak issues with Chrome for a while.  The moment I disabled webadvisor, I'm back to normal.

McAfee.  Please fix this ASAP.  It's totally unacceptable that this extension is such a problem

bmccarty2012
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Yes! I have had the same issues, and it has been driving me crazy! To the point where I got an RMA number for my laptop, because I thought some old issues with it were coming back. I disabled all my other extensions, but hadn't tried disabling Web Advisor until tonight, because I thought "no... that can't be the issue." Disabled Web Advisor, and everything runs fine now. BIG screw up on McAfee's part, and they still haven't fixed it, apparently. 

DJ_Matty
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

I actually had to remove the extension. It kept turning back on somehow.

scmrak
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

McAfee Total Protection  /  v. 1.9.214  / release 16.0 R109  / Affid 1289  /  web advisor Chrome extension version 8.1.0.3522

Windows 11 64-bit

Chrome Version 114.0.5735.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Screenshot of Chrome task manager showing the web advisor eating CPU like a starving wolverine.
Screenshot 2023-06-07 165258 - Copy.png

AryKal
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Same, i was so worried, i was receiving constant page unresponsive errors. I did what not. Finally i found that this issue may be cuz of some extension. i have zeroed down to webadvisor. 5 mins it seems fine. The errors were something like Page_hung & Out_of_memory. Do you think i had the same issue as you?

AryKal
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

I have the same issue i think
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community