Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Web Boost not blocking

Hi,

Went to one of the UK's best known newspaper sites for the first time with Web Boost activated today. When reading any article it always annoyingly plays a video automatically after a few seconds, and Web Boost did NOTHING to stop it. Tried lots of pages, same problem. Not happy.

Can the independent.co.uk be added to your block list quickly please?

9 Replies
sivasubramanian
Message 2 of 10

Re: Web Boost not blocking

@cavehomme1 

Please check whether you have whitelisted the independant.co.uk in Web Boost. Perform the below steps to remove the whitelisting of the same website.

1. Click the Web Boost icon in the top-right corner.
  2. Click the stacked menu (hamburger) icon in the top-right corner of the Web Boost screen.
  3. Click Auto-play settings. The list of whitelisted websites is shown.
  4. Remove individual whitelisted websites by clicking the trash can next to the website name.

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 10

No, the site independent.co.uk is not whitelisted, I already checked that previously, and double-checked just now. I also disabled auto-play altogether, but autoplay still continues on independent.co.uk

cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Any update please?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 10

Hi @cavehomme1 

We tried to reproduce the issue in our lab setup but were unable to do so. We found that Web Boost did block the video advertisements that tried to autoplay in the backend.

What Web Boost couldn't block were the advertisements that played as slideshows instead of videos. Please confirm if you are having trouble pausing videos or are you referring to slideshows.

Reagards
Farhan

cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Hi,

I am getting the full videos playing after several seconds on all article pages. For example, try this one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/passports-power-index-2019-japan-singapore-sout...

I am getting same issue of videos playing when I go to another popular website, CNET. I still get their annoying videos a a few seconds after entering a page, for example, try this one:

https://download.cnet.com/Chromium/3000-2356_4-10907846.html

Please note I am using the Firefox addon, not Chrome, I refuse to use Google products. Did you guys check in Firefox or Chrome?

Many thanks for your attention,

Cavehomme

cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Any further updates please?

sivasubramanian
Message 8 of 10

@cavehomme1 

We are unable to repro the issue in house. We see that Web Boost blocking the videos. Try clearing
browser cookies, cache and retry checking. Try disable and enable Web Boost. Check the status.

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
miguelgrado
Contributor III
Message 9 of 10

Hello

In my case, web Boost was installed two days ago in Firefox, on my two pcs, although for now it only appears as available for Chrome.

I checked both links of cavehomme1, and in the first if the video is played, but in the second, web boost notifications come out that has stopped playback.Sin título.png

Forospyware Warrior
LindaM
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I have been having the same problem for months. I clear my cache regularly and use CCleaner after every web session. When I open the drop down menu, I see that web boost has turned itself off. I turn it on and the very next page I open automatically plays videos. I check the drop down menu and it says web boost is off. It is turning itself off. Please fix this, as it is part of my PAID subscription to McAfee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community