cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UOPayroll
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Web Advisor slowing down all browsers

For almost two months, browsing the web on Chrome or Edge has drastically slowed down.  Task manager shows Web Advisor and one or more of the Chrome/MS Edge tasks taking an unusual large amount of resources.

Disabling the Web Advisor extension one the browsers has removed this issue, but it also removes the protection.  Is there a known issue with Web Advisor and will it be fixed?

20 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 21

Re: Web Advisor slowing down all browsers

Hi @UOPayroll 

Greetings from McAfee!!!

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly disable Web Advisor and clear cache, cookies. Check for any pending browser updates and reinstall WA. Please update

Alternatively, you can reach McAfee consumer support from below link.

McAfee Consumer Support

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

SDAG
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Hi I have the same exact problem.

I tried the solution proposed with no success. When I disable Web Advisor extension from Chrome everything works perfectly again so it's the extension causing the bug.

CPU goes to 100% and browser becomes super slow.

EV
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Hello,

I am having the same issue. Slow typing when I use Chrome or Microsoft Edge.

I called the support today but the lady didn't undertsand a word that I said. Instead she sent me some basic user guide instructions to disable Web Advisor from Chrome extensions/uninstall the software!

Well, if I don't find a solution fast, I will stop to use McAfee... and I have been using it for a while!

I really appreciate some help on this.

Thanks.

EV

Beezle
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

i followed these instructions but it didnt help, chrome is basically unusable when web advisor is enabled

SibeDad
Contributor II
Message 6 of 21

This started happening to me with latest update, Version 8.1.0.3522 Updated May 18, 2023.

On several websites including YouTube and Ultimate Guitar I constantly get, "Error code: Out of Memory".  When I disable McAfee Webadvisor everything works fine.

Zbs527
Contributor II
Message 7 of 21

I have the same exact problem. The McAfee Webadvisor version is 8.1.0.3522.  The issue exists on edge and Chrome browser. When I disable McAfee Webadvisor everything works fine. Technical support team, please help fix this issue. My computer is up to date, McAfee software is up to date.

Zbs527
Contributor II
Message 8 of 21

I have troubleshot the issue with edge and Chrome Browsers running out of memory on two computers running Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2. One computer has McAfee Version: 1.9.253, Release name: 160R109 with Webadvisor Version: 8.10.3522. BOTH EDGE AND CHROME BROWSER STOP WORKING AND RUN OUT OF MEMORY.

The second computer has McAfee Version: 1.8.256, Release name: 160R108 with Webadvisor Version: 8.10.3522. THE EDGE AND CHROME BROWSERS WORK PERFECTLY FINE ON THIS COMPUTER.

The latest edge and Chrome Browsers are installed on both computers.

Zbs527
Contributor II
Message 9 of 21

Below is a workaround until McAfee developers get a chance to fix McAfee Webadvisor.

On my PC, I have turned off McAfee Webadvisor in Microsoft edge and Chrome browser. I have installed Norton Web Safe extension in both browsers. Norton Web Safe extension is free.  After installing Norton Web Safe extension both browsers are working properly. You may switch back to Mcafee Webadvisor after it is fixed. Don’t hold your breath!

To download and install Web Safe extension:

To download Norton Web Safe extension in edge, click on the 3-dots in the upper right corner of the edge browser. Click on extensions -> open Microsoft edge add-ons, search for Norton Web Safe and click Get. To install, click on the 3-dots in the upper right corner of the edge browser. Click on extensions -> Manage extensions. Turn off McAfee Webadvisor and turn on Norton Web Safe extension. Close your browser and reopen.

To download and install Norton Web Safe extension for Chrome, go to Google webstore, https://chrome.google.com/webstore/, and search for Norton Web Safe and click Get. To install, click on the 3-dots in the upper right corner of the Chrome browser. Click on settings -> click on extensions on the left side. Turn off McAfee Webadvisor and turn on Norton Web Safe extension. Close your browser and reopen.

SibeDad
Contributor II
Message 10 of 21

Thanks, I will give it a try.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community