Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skanungo
Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Web Advisor don't show warning message in Chrome and Edge

Jump to solution

I am using Windows 10 64Bit and just installed McAfee Internet Security. No other antivirus is installed and I am using recently formatted laptop. McAfee Web Advisor got installed as part of the product installation. McAfee shows warning when I am visiting any malicious or phishing sites from Firefox and Internet Explorer. But it don't display any warning when the same web page is visited from Chrome and Edge.

Web Advisor extension for Chrome is installed. Although the extension turns 'RED' but it don't display the pop up message regarding malicious site that it is showing for Firefox. The sites with which I have tested this functionality is in the database of most antivirus products including McAfee. But for Chrome although the extension turns 'RED' but it don't display any proper warning message. And for EDGE there is no extension and hence no warning message at all.

Phishing sites I used to test this are as follows:

microkool.com/Dropfile/index.php

vapesandpapes.com/Air-Craft

Anyone here can tell me whether this issue is faced by others or not? And when this bug will be fixed?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 24 of 28

Re: Web Advisor don't show warning message in Chrome and Edge

Jump to solution

skanungo.

You said "It may so happen that Google Safe Browsing detects the site before McAfee. My concern was not that. We can click "continue" in that and proceed to that site. But after that McAfee did not show 'Whoa" message in Chrome."

I spoke to the WA team and got 2 pieces of information

1) we were correct that the Google Safe Browsing detects the site before WebAdvisor can.

2) regarding your statement above, you are correct.  This is indeed a defect - it was recently discovered and has already been fixed in an updated Chrome extension which is being released on a slow throttle basis.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 28

Jump to solution
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 28

Jump to solution

I tried testing those web addresses in my Chrome and was greeted by a red Google Safesearch warning page which would not let me go to the page.

But as you said no popup warning from Webadvisor at all.  It didn't even turn red but did give a negative Site Report when I clicked on that link.

The bizarre part of this is, I have Google Safesearch turned OFF so have no idea what to do from here other than bring it to the attention of a Tier 2.5 Technician I know.

Hopefully he will chime in here.

​ can you add anything here please?

skanungo
Contributor
Message 4 of 28

Jump to solution

Are you talking about Chrome warning? Chrome by itself do warn about it. Please note I am talking about McAfee warning which should pop up. I am attaching screenshot of both Chrome and Firefox when I am trying to access those sites. In case of Chrome the malicious web page opens up but it continues to reload. This is due to inability of McAfee to completely block and pop up the warning message. Check the McAfee extension of Chrome. Although it turns RED and detects but neither blocks nor shows the regular pop up. I have marked the portion in screenshot. The warning shown Firefox is the expected message for Chrome also but unfortunately that don't happen. Chrome version 56.

I have also attached the warning from Chrome which is given. But if we click Details and continue to unsafe site no warning is given by McAfee. And for EDGE

no McAfee extension and obviously the sites load properly in EDGE and McAfee can't detect them.

Chrome_warning.JPG

mcafee_extension_warning.JPG

firefox_mcafee.JPG

Regards,

Subhadeep.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 28

Jump to solution

Yes I guess so.  BTW I forgot to mention I get similar behaviour as you do in Edge except no McAfee icon showing there.

Edge is not my default (Firefox is) but like Chrome it borrowed all its settings from Firefox.

Dopug K should lend a hand when he is available as I have asked him directly to assist.

skanungo
Contributor
Message 6 of 28

Jump to solution

Chrome used to be my default browser. But switched to Firefox as McAfee is not showing warning while visiting malicious or phishing links. This is clearly a bug. Even when using my Android device and accessing those sites in Chrome, McAfee Mobile Security is blocking the same. But for Windows, McAfee don't show or block malicious links if they are opened from Chrome and more specifically if we click the link from any other site or type in the malicious link directly in Chrome.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 28

Jump to solution

I agree it seems rather odd - the difference in behaviour.

skanungo
Contributor
Message 8 of 28

Jump to solution

Any update regarding this issue?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 28

Jump to solution

Only that I spoke to the techs and they say there are some problems in Chrome that need ironing out and "stay tuned" for updates, hopefully soon.  In the case of Edge though, that will all depend on Microsoft allowing  the App access to that browser.   Thus far they haven't allowed much in.   Wait and see I guess.

I tried using Edge and noticed that some safety feature was working on those pages, but not sure what as I am no expert.

They are extremely busy but will post in this area if and when they can.

You could try support if youwish.

Technical Support

skanungo
Contributor
Message 10 of 28

Jump to solution

I hope they fix it soon. Support of McAfee is one of the worst I have ever experienced. They know nothing and even can't understand even after taking remote access.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community