cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rushatiindia
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

We're experiencing communication problem right now!

I have installed McAfee SiteAdvisor version 2.5.0.6172.

First Time I installed the same from download.com. It was working fine.

Next I downloaded latest version from your site directly. Now it's not working. Always it's showing the following message:

We're experiencing communication problem right now.

I have checked with McAfee Virtual Technician. But no problem has been identified till date.

Not only that, I have installed/uninstalled 8 times but the result is same.

Please help.
Labels (1)
15 Replies
Jubo
Contributor III
Message 2 of 16

RE: We're experiencing communication problem right now!

Hang loose... trying to get more info about this issue...
cooper26
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

I'm having a similar problem.

My computer keeps freezing up because my computer can't "start Mcafee siteadvisor installer." I'm running IE 6 and have the newest version of site advisor (I checked before I just uninstalled it).

I would get 30-40 error windows that gave me the same message if I kept the computer up and running, which in turn would freeze the computer. Since I just uninstalled site advisor I'm not having the problem but I'd like to have the feature available again.

I did get the message of "experiencing connection problems" last night. Today, all sites (including mcafee) were coming up grey.

Any ideas?

Thanks for being there to help!
OliverJohnSimps
Former Member
Message 4 of 16

Hi All,

We are yet to find out why this problem is occurring but we were able to resolve it by uninstalling the McAfee Site Advisor alone and then redownloading the McAfee Site Advisor from your account. I can see that the ‘rushatiindia’ had uninstalled and reinstalled it but not sure if it’s from the account. So if you can try doing this step and then let us know what actually happens then we can see if there are anything more that could be tried.

Thanks,
OJ
rushatiindia
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

I have again uninstalled and reinstalled "from the account". But result is same.
OliverJohnSimps
Former Member
Message 6 of 16

Hi,

Are you still facing the same issue?

Thanks,
OJ
krmason
Contributor II
Message 7 of 16

Siteadvisor problems

We are experiencing the same problems. The new version will not work on our system and gives the error for this forum.

The solution for us was to remove the new version and reinstall the older version and all our problems went away.

So we re no currently using 1.1.1 version.

I noticed that the new version has Proxies set up in the policies, so am wondering if this is a proxy issue and you need to set up your proxy to allow the new version to work.

Ken
admin
Former Member
Message 8 of 16

RE: Siteadvisor problems

I am having the message "We're experiencing communications problems right now" problem too. Is McAfee going to have a fix for this when I do the automaic updates? Or is the Site Advisor function no longer working?
patflgn
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Me too - We're experiencing communications problems right now

Running XP, SP2, IE6.

Have been using SiteAdvisor for about a year with no problems. For about the last 2 weeks, the IE plugin has failed frequently with the message "We're experiencing communications problems right now" as others have reported. The SiteAdvisor icon is grey except that the text McAfee SiteAdvisor and the drop-down arrow are black; and the McAfee symbol is red. Google search results also do not show the SiteAdvisor rankings.

While the term "We're experiencing..." would imply the problem is with McAfee's site (or wherever SiteAdvisor phones home for it's rankings), a reboot will usually restore it's functionality, which means it's a problem local to my computer. However, a reboot has not resolved it this time.

I experienced the same issue last weekend on my girlfriend's computer.

I checked for updates and received "You are running version 2.5.0.6172 of SiteAdvisor's Internet Explorer plug-in. You are already using the latest version available. There is no need to re-install SiteAdvisor".

I have not made any configuration changes nor installed nor uninstalled any software since this problem surfaced.

ISP is the same.

In other words no changes on my end.

All MS and other software patches are current with the exception of IE7 (buggy on friend's computers; so sticking with IE6).

Anti-virus is Symantec Corporate Edition 10.0, daily updates and scans. No threats detected.

Anti-spyware is Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.1 in advanced mode and fully configured (using it since 2005; consider myself an expert). Check for updates and run scans daily. No threats detected.

So, McAfee, have you any feedback for us on this? Or better yet, a patch?

Thanks,
Pat
krmason
Contributor II
Message 10 of 16

resolved

It would appear that the software is proxy sensitive. If you are behind a firewall or proxy, you will need to set the values for SiteAdvisor to the proxy settings or change your firewall to allow siteadvisor to exit out.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community