Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
polly
Contributor III
Message 1 of 22

WEBADVISOR WILL NOT RE-INSTALL

Jump to solution

I have Windows 8.1. 64bits. I have WebAdvisor as a stand-alone McAfee product. Chrome is default browser.

Yesterday, WebAdviisor stopped showing annotations

I checked - WA was shown as installed in Programs & Features. The Extension was enabled. WA ICON showed clearly in Chrome page. I right-clicked on WA Toolbar but 'OPTIONS' did not respond.

I did not get any updates yesterday, so I don't think that can be the problem. A Windows Defender full scan and a MSRT full Scan - showed no viruses.

I uninstalled WA and restarted laptop.

Then, I installed WA but it did not install

The 'box' said that it installed successfully but it hasn't. It is not in Programmes & Features and it is not in Chrome extensions and I have no annotations in Chrome or Yahoo Safe Search

I did a 'search', it is nowhere in my laptop.

I tried installing WA several times AGAIN with no success. After each install, the box said the installation was successful. Sadly, it is not. What can I do, please? Would McAfee Pre-install Tool help? If so, may I have a safe link to it? I am a 79 year old lady and can only do basic things - I would never touch registers - or 'go into' the laptop.

I had a McAfee AV product before accepting Windows Defender 6 years ago. This AV product uninstalled successfully, including WA. I also used MCPR afterwards.

After that, I installed WA successfully as a stand-alone product with Windows Defender and it has been working well.

.McAfee is a great product but because I am an 'old-age pensioner', I finally opted for Windows Defender because it is free. Sorry about that, but every penny counts now.
Best wishes, Polly

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 17 of 22

Re: WEBADVISOR WILL NOT RE-INSTALL

Jump to solution

Ok got icon up in chrome ...click on jigsaw piece top right next to 3 dots and choose WA.  Go to its 3 dots and choose pin the icon should appear. My ticks were working so you might have another issue. You can try chat and get them to have a tech call you.

Oh I an 70 so a oldie and a mod here for 15 years till they decided we were not needed.

Let me know if you get things working please

Why is it I get Peacemaker in many posts funny but I was going to call myself that but it is a name of a gun so decided PK better

Ok another thread active with an experienced poster cyberdude posting read what he said re ticks

"

i went to the WA settings page and to Search result options. 

at default it was set to option 1 and no green ticks visible after search result.

i changed the setting from option 1

• Tell me if a search result is safe only in Secure Search 

to option 2

• Tell me if a search result is safe in any search engine

with option 2 there are green ticks after search result."

View solution in original post

Peacekeeper
Message 20 of 22

Jump to solution

Actually in Chrome and Firefox there is no right click to get options on icons anymore click on the green icon and top right click on the gear icon the choice is there

polly
Contributor III
Message 21 of 22

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper

Thank you for all your help.   I have ICON and SAFETY TICKS now.

Polly

Peacekeeper
Message 22 of 22

Jump to solution
21 Replies
Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 22

Jump to solution

Hello @polly 

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. As you are using the chrome browser and re installed WA. Kindly check and let us know if you are facing any issues. Kindly check the WA version which is installed on the machine., incase if you face any issues and please let us know to proceed further.

Regards

Magesh J

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 22

Jump to solution

Re annotations is this the green tick on google searches that does not work as of past few days you can use another search engines while McAfee investigates. re install issues try MCPR again it cleans up what was missed previously and left over from the new attempted install. I assume no mention of WA in widows Programs and features?

polly
Contributor III
Message 4 of 22

Jump to solution

Dear Peacekeeper

Thank you for prompt reply.  Yes, by 'annotations', I meant the 'Green Ticks'.  WA did not install and is not in Programmes & Features, nor in Extensions.  The Green Ticks do not appear in any Search Browser, so could you please send me a safe link to download the MCPR tool?  This is a good idea.

Polly

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 22

Jump to solution

Try method 2 in the below Knowledgebase article from McAfee. safe MCPR link there

How to remove McAfee

Maybe run preinstall tool prior to retrying would not hurt

Preinstall Tool

Are you getting WA from the Mcafee site not another source

polly
Contributor III
Message 6 of 22

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper

Thank you.  I clicked on the Download MCPR Tool link and it did not respond. The page  flashes and returns to same page each time I try. 

Ditto with the 'Pre-Install' link

I am sure I got WA from official site - I still have the download.  I have deleted Google history, but here is a screenshot showing WA Properties 'details.

Polly

polly
Contributor III
Message 7 of 22

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper. Screen shot of WA Properties Details may not have attached. Here it is again. Polly

polly
Contributor III
Message 8 of 22

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper
Thank you for sending me the MCPR tool. I successfully downloaded WA after using the tool. WA now shows in Programmes & Features and is enabled in Chrome & IE Extensions.

However, the 'green ticks' do not show and there is no WA Icon tool bar. .

Incidentally, I had to do the downloads through IE as Chrome refused to download WA or any McAfee tools. Otherwise, I have no other problem re Chrome downloads.

This is an improvement, but all I need now are the 'green ticks' and the WA tool bar. Any ideas, please?
Polly

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 22

Jump to solution

Go to any site and click on WA icon top right and at bottom left of opened oppup read teh version (it is very faint type should be 8.1.0.148

polly
Contributor III
Message 10 of 22

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper,

Thank you.  I cannot see what to right-click on.  There is no WA ICON on top right of any site.  There are no Green Safety Ticks on any site.     I see from Prog. & Features, that I downloaded WA Version 4.1.1.154 but you may be referring to some other sequence of numbers.  

If WA ICON tool bar were showing, I could click Options and go to 'Tell me if a search result is safe in any search engine' and that might bring on the Green Ticks, but  I do not have the WA Icon showing. 

Polly

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community