cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
confuser_newbie
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Visable characteristics of a malware attack?

Hi!  I'm new to this website.  I have Chinese-looking characters that appear over the tabs at the top of my screen.  It's a Toshiba laptop.  Anyone know what it is?

13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: Visable characteristics of a malware attack?

No we aren't sure but it would appear to be a reaction on certain web pages only between Firefox (assume you are using it) and Siteadvisor.   See

I fixed it on my machine by temporarily changing the Character Encoding settings under 'View" to Automatic and then restarting my browser.

Switching back hasn't thus far caused it to recur.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 14

There's a big discussion about this at the moment. We think it may be SiteAdvisor interacting with one or more browser add-ons (or the browser itself) but we're not sure. Resetting the Character Encoding setting sometimes helps.

Read the discussion here -

Plenty of suggestions, some of which work for one person and not another, others which work only for a while or until the browser is closed and re-opened.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

Sorry Hayton you were posting as I moved this to SiteAdvisor.  

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 14

is that user name what you wanted?   We can change it for you if you wish.

confuser_newbie
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

Well, I'm really a newbie with social media, but thanks for your quick response.  Not sure how to get to "View" to change the Character Encoding to Auto.

confuser_newbie
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

Yes, please.  How about ?Confuser_Newbie!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 14

OK you'll have to log out and back in as confuser_newbie - had to miss out the characters before and after the letters as the system wont allow that.

Regarding that Character Encoding, I was talking about Firefox browser, Edit (top row of buttons) > Character Encoding.

Regarding the subject, the SiteAdvisor team is working on it.

confuser_newbie
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

Wow!  That's great.  I uninstalled SiteAdvisor, then reinstalled it.  So, we'll see how that works.  Thanks very much for your help!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 14

Good idea and good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community