cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilF
Contributor III
Message 1 of 13

Verizon Webmail

I have found that Site Advisor is not compatable with Verizon Webmail.  IE kept freezing when attempting to use VZ Webmail, but as soon as I disabled the two Site Advisor addons in IE, all worked fine.

12 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Verizon Webmail

I haven't come across this one before. I'll mention it in the Monday conference call and get back to you with whatever I can learn there.

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 3 of 13

Thank you...

As an FYI, the issue does not occcur in Firefox, only in IE (both in IE7 & and IE8 - on two different computers).

It freezes when I click on Manage Folders, which I believe is a javascript application.

Both computers are fully up to date with most current Java updates.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Getting ready for a conference call, looked at this topic and realised I haven't asked you what version of SiteAdvisor you've got and whether it's SiteAdvisor basic or SiteAdvisor Live (Plus, as was). I'm bound to be asked that question.

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 5 of 13

I have one computer with the most current SiteAdvisor Live and the other with basic.  As I recall, Live was updated in Jan and Basic back in Nov or Dec,  The issue does occur on both though!  Clearly the problem is with Site Advisor, as it works fine as soon as I disable.  This sounds very similar to the Yahoo Mail problem that I was reading about in other posts on this forum.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, it's been a bit busy here & in real life. I asked about this in the conference call and no-one's heard of any other occurrences of it. Looks like you're the only one so far, which is good (in a way) and bad (they prefer to wait and see if anyone else comes up with the problem, just in case it's something to do with your setup or configuration). I mentioned the javascript theory and there was a kind of general murmur of agreement and understanding. But getting a developer review authorised for a single instance of a problem is pretty unlikely, I reckon.

I forgot to ask you if you have the standalone SiteAdvisor or if it came as part of a McAfee package. Apparently that could make a difference.

For the moment, can you live with using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer? The alternative is to disable it within IE using Tools/Manage Add-Ons, which potentially leaves you open to wandering into risky sites. If you do decide to disable it, of course, you're quite at liberty to try out an alternative, such as the free WOT download for IE. That would at least rate your search results.

Not much of a result there I'm afraid, but for the moment I think that's as far as I can take it.

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 7 of 13

Hayton, I do appreciate your 'attempt' to address this.  Unfortunately,  this seems to be Mcafee's typical response to many issues with the most recent Total Protection suite... not to address!  I am aware of my  alternatives, but if a product is malfunctioning, the manufacturer should  correct it, and not suggest alternatives.  I would assume that if there are any  SA programmers/developers working in the US, at least one of them must use Verizon as their  ISP, and be in a position to see this for themselves.  In answer to your  question, as previously posted, this problem occurs both on the Live version  that is part of MTP, as well as the free stand alone version  which I run on a  second computer.  Both are running XP.  The Live version is on IE7, and the free  version is on IE8.  To tell you the truth, if Mcafee tech support was more user  friendly, I would think they would have heard more on this.  Most of us who have  had experience with Mcafee tech support are very reluctant to go back down that  path.
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I know Verizon is widely used, which is why I was hoping that someone else would chip in and strengthen the case for investigation into this. I was also waiting to see whether the fix for the Yahoo problem would fix yours as well.

The suggestion about using WOT as a temporary measure was mine, so I'm the one to take the flak for it not being acceptable.

You have confirmed though that that it happens on both versions of SA, which I think will help when I raise the issue again.

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Hi everyone! I am having a problem with Verizon webmail also.  I can't compose or reply. I'm using Classic Basic. When I try to compose, I have to wait up to 1 minute for a message appears that says Stop running this script? (yes) (no).  a script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run your computer might become unresponsive..

when I choose yes I get the compose page and can write and send my email.

This happens also when I want to reply to an email.

I wonder if my newest Windows update is at fault.  Been thinking about uninstalling it until I saw this mention a BHO. I have Site Advisor 3.3  build 3.3.0.76.  I also just updated McAfee to AntiVirus Plus 2011.

Windows XP service pack 3.  internet explorer 8  (with the latest security update from windows KB 2416400 )

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 2/7/11 8:03:42 PM GMT-05:00

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 2/7/11 8:27:13 PM GMT-05:00
hopeless1
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

You say you disabled  the 2 Site Advisor Addons.  If I disable the McAfee site advisor BHO,  I get a message that the site advisor tool bar will be disabled as a result. ( I have 3 addons:  the BHO is enabled, the Site Advisor Toolbar is enabled, and script proxy (was already disabled and still is)

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 2/7/11 8:20:11 PM GMT-05:00
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community