Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frogbert
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

Unsigned WebAdvisor won't be allowed in Firefox 44 In 2 months

Jump to solution

Despite numerous posts on this board, there has been no movement in getting WebAdvisor verified by Mozilla for Firefox.

This shows the deadlines for extension signing: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing

• Firefox 40-42: Firefox warns about signatures but doesn't enforce them.
  • Firefox 43: Firefox will have a preference that allows signature enforcement to be disabled (xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config).
  • Firefox 44: Release and Beta versions of Firefox will not allow unsigned extensions to be installed, with no override.

. Here's the Firefox Release calendar: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

2016-01-26     Firefox 44    

Frankly, if McAfee can't complete this obvious task, what else are they missing?

Note: For those depending on WebAdvisor for browser security, I suggest Web Of Trust. I use it in conjunction with WebAdvisor [Until WA not available] and it has blocked more threat sites that Site/WebAdvisor. And it IS signed/verified by Mozilla.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Korgman
Contributor III
Message 16 of 19

Re: Unsigned WebAdvisor won't be allowed in Firefox 44 In 2 months

Jump to solution

I just thought I'd note that today WA no longer says it is not verified in my FF 42.0. Looks like it was updated 12/1.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 19

Jump to solution

Yes, they are fully aware of it as we've been discussing this for weeks on our weekly conference calls every Monday.

The previous build to the one I currently have (14.0.1.203) was in fact signed and showed as such in Firefox, but in the meanwhile Firefox upgraded yet again and threw that out of the window so to speak.

The procedure is long and complicated as not only do McAfee/Intel have to sign their applications but they then have to submit them to Mozilla who in turn re-sign them, a process that takes weeks rather than the preferred days or even hours.

It is being worked on I assure you, and hopefully someone will streamline the process asap.

Thanks for posting this however as everyone should be aware of it.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

It is ironic that you would say something as such. We even discussed this in our Conference Call yesterday. So McAfee and the Web Advisor Team is fully aware of the Rapid Release Schedule of Firefox. Since I primarily run Internet Explorer 11 , I experience no issues at all.

Quite possibly a Colleague whom runs Firefox will pick up this thread, and add to the discussion. Even when McAfee Digitally signs each Build, Mozilla/Firefox in return has to do the same. Thank you for bringing this up though.

All the very Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
frogbert
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

<

The procedure is long and complicated as not only do McAfee/Intel have to sign their applications but they then have to submit them to Mozilla who in turn re-sign them, a process that takes weeks rather than the preferred days or even hours.

It is being worked on I assure you, and hopefully someone will streamline the process asap.>

And yet...the 28 other Add-ins I have in Firefox DO NOT SHOW, "COULD NOT BE VERIFIED FOR USE IN FIREFOX.' Maybe the McAfee team could ask those other guys how they keep up...because Firefox release schedule is going to continue at a rapid pace and if WebAdvisor isn't verified it will not be usable. In fact, as the schedule in my original post shows, getting WebAdvisor to work in the next Firefox release FF 43 will require about:config editing which will be beyond most casual users.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

Sarcasm aside, surely that all depends on which add-ons you have.  Here's a quick peek at mine:  (Click to enlarge).  BTW that "process taking weeks" was referring to the time it takes for Mozilla to act, not McAfee.

Capture.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

As you can see, even venerable old Microsoft have been caught up in this.

frogbert
Former Member
Message 7 of 19

Jump to solution

Since Microsoft makes competitor IE, they have no incentive to bother with verification. The only add-on I have that isn't verified is WebAdvisor: 28 verified vs 1 not verified.

Per my earlier reply, 'the next Firefox release FF 43 will require about:config editing which will be beyond most casual users.', the Firefox 43 release date is 2015-12-15...that's 3 weeks before many users will no longer be able to use WebAdvisor.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

They know enough to use Google hopefully, or they can come here, use search, or simply ask here, or go to support.  That's what we're all here for.

No need for panic yet.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 19

Jump to solution

- I know this is totally off-topic but you may know the answer.  FF 42 insists the following plug-in is out of date, yet I have the latest installed.   This isn't the first time this has happened.

Should I simply ignore it?

Capture.JPG

In fact my version appears to be even later than Firefox thinks it is.

Capture1.JPG

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

This in Vista or Windows 10?  Mozilla I think has a cap on latest-usable version for FF depending on the OS.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community