cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nodus
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Unreviewable sites

There's still something severely wrong with the new feedback interface. Take a look at e.g. this site I just tried to review:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/psyhonaft.ru

If you look down at the Feedback section you can see there is no "Comments" button, which usually is present there. So, there is no way to get to the page where you can leave your review.

Ok, then you get smart and, from your old experience, simply write the whole comment page URL straight to your browser's address field like this:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/msgpage/psyhonaft.ru

And, lo and behold, you get to the page where you can leave your comment. All set up? Oh no!

Now you write your review, select the appropriate rating, and push the "Post Comment" button. What happens? Strangely enough, you end up to this page:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/test ds/

... which doesn't make sense at all. If you go back to the page you just tried to review, you can see there is absolutely no review from you there. But on the other hand, the system did leave a comment for "test ds", which you can only see from my profile page (click the "Find all posts by Nodus" link). But clicking on those hypothetical reviews doesn't get you to see them (and I'd like those to be removed from the database anyway).

So, for some reason there are sites that appear to be impossible to review, but which instead leave a (corrupted) review to a completely wrong place. Is there any common denominator with such sites? This is just speculation, but a fellow reviewer once mentioned he couldn't review loanmarketing.co.uk, which made me think now it could be something to do with ccTLD's (country-code top level domains). But I have seen some of those succesfully reviewed, so it's not at least completely the case.

Any action to correct this false behavior would be appreciated.

9 Replies
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unreviewable sites

Good morning everyone,

The purpose of this post is to confirm what Nodus is reporting.

I entered a review of the site, but nothing is being shown to indicate my review (or anyone else's) has been received and posted.

Thanks very much for your time and review of this problem.

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 6/18/13 9:38:34 AM EDT
Nodus
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks, Pete, for your confirmation.

But the plot thickens: It came to my mind I could try and use the bulk rating tool I have access to, and put only this site on the list of sites to review. Guess what? Initially it seemed to work and reported accordingly:

Results of bulk comment insertion:

1. (psyhonaft.ru) Adding comment

1. (psyhonaft.ru) Comment addition SUCCESS.

But there still is no comment to be seen at either http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/psyhonaft.ru or http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/msgpage/psyhonaft.ru, even though now if you look at my profile (click the "Find all posts by Nodus" link), you can see there actually is a comment from me for psyhonaft.ru. It just doesn't show up anywhere.

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Hi again Nodus,

I think this is one problem that perhaps Hayton and the other Moderators may need to look into and/or discuss with the SA tech staff to effect a resolution.

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 6/18/13 11:39:57 AM EDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Me? Look into it? Well, I tried. I see exactly what you both see, and I have just one possible suggestion for the cause : maybe it's because the site is unknown (in the sense that the website owner hasn't registered it with SiteAdvisor). That shouldn't prevent you making a review of the site though.

And the "test ds" page looks like someone left a redirect to a dummy page in the code. That should have been removed at the end of the testing process, it definitely should not be in the released program.

I'll try to flag this for the attention of our Tier 3 contact, and see if he can add it to his (very long) list of Things To Do. Someone in the SiteAdvisor section may need to change the code, which probably requires all sorts of authorisations before it can be done.

If this isn't fixed by Friday I'll add it to next Monday's conference call agenda.

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Thanks very much for the follow-up, Hayton!

Nodus
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hayton wrote:

Me? Look into it? Well, I tried. I see exactly what you both see, and I have just one possible suggestion for the cause : maybe it's because the site is unknown (in the sense that the website owner hasn't registered it with SiteAdvisor). That shouldn't prevent you making a review of the site though.

You're right, it definitely shouldn't. If that was some weird property of the new system, it would be a total fail and make reviewing sites completely pointless, don't you think. In practise it would mean you couldn't review any site without the owner's permission.

I'm also quite sure the old system didn't have any property of that kind. As you can see, I have made "a few" reviews since 2007 and have never seen this happening. It would be a miracle if all those sites had been registered with SiteAdvisor (especially since most of them have been outright criminal sites).

I'll try to flag this for the attention of our Tier 3 contact, and see if he can add it to his (very long) list of Things To Do. Someone in the SiteAdvisor section may need to change the code, which probably requires all sorts of authorisations before it can be done.

If this isn't fixed by Friday I'll add it to next Monday's conference call agenda.

Thank you very much. I can see this kind of problems are not very high on developers' todo lists, and I'm actually become kind of used to it in the past years with many problems we have discussed here as well. That's one of the reasons why I don't bother making that many reviews anymore (and even then it seems I can't keep my mouth shut of these issues that have gone unnoticed in the new system ).

But still, I can see some potential in the new interface. Especially the feedback chart is a step forward (or kind of a "step back" to the good old system) where you can see the distribution of user ratings straight away. Now if only the "unrated" category would be adjusted a little...

But your help is appreciated as always, Hayton. It would be great if you can convey also this issue to "those in the know". Thanks.

Message was edited to correct a grammar error by: Nodus on 6/18/13 8:30:47 PM EDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Nodus wrote:

It would be great if you can convey also this issue to "those in the know".

Already done. Should get a reply in the next day or two.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

The missing button is apparently a mistake, and someone else had already reported it. It's on the list of Things To Do, but no date given for when it gets done.

The other question is so far unanswered - why you arrive at the "test ds" rating page. That's obviously been created for testing purposes but the code that redirects you to it should have been commented out before the new SA version was released (or so I would have expected).

Nodus
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Good, thank you Hayton.

I hope they also remember that on the sites missing the Comments button the comments already left there are hidden as well. As I told, I know by my profile that there's a review from me for psyhonaft.ru, it just doesn't show up. Hopefully it's the same thing causing both these issues, since they also seem to appear simultaneously.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community