cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
viertesreich
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Unjustified Warnings on Sites

My girlfriend has been going to my sites and getting McAfee warnings, red on some sites and yellow on others. WP14.net has been getting the yellow alert with the statement "McAfee TrustedSource web reputation analysis found potential suspicious behavior on this site which may pose a security risk. Use with caution. Exterminance.org has been getting the red alert with the statement "McAfee TrustedSource web reputation analysis found potential security risks with this site. Use with extreme caution." Yet both sites are listed with zero for all the following categories:

This site spams (0)

Adware, spyware, or viruses (0)

Excessive popups (0)

Phishing or other scams (0)

Bad shopping experience (0)

Browser exploit (0)

My websites are very basic and use no complex code in which to hide anything nasty. So why are they being flagged by McAfee?

3 Replies
NotBuyingIt
Reliable Contributor II
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unjustified Warnings on Sites

WP14.net has been getting the yellow alert with the statement "McAfee TrustedSource web reputation analysis found potential suspicious behavior on this site which may pose a security risk.

The categories that you listed are for comments and ratings left by SiteAdvisor users who volunteer their opinions.  They have virtually no influence upon the TrustedSource rating.  If all of your friends were to contribute positive ratings it would make no difference.  Likewise, if all of the people whom you may have offended were to contribute negative ratings, it wouldn't likely change the TrustedSource evaluation at all.

Besides the vaguest indication of forum spamming, the only thing that I noticed was that your "White Power" site might possibly be illegal in Germany and perhaps some people would think that it may violate hate speech bans, including for anti-Semitism or for Nazi glorification, in a few other countries.  This is only a wild guess on my part because TrustedSource ignores hate speech per se, but it does analyse network traffic.  I wonder if your site might pick up suspicious traffic from adversely rated underground sites.

Sometimes when you contact TrustedSource directly, they will rapidly correct an erroneous rating.

Message was edited for spelling and to add citation from the OP on 8/30/11 2:54:54 PM CDT
viertesreich
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I keep a sharp eye out for spam accounts and delete them swiftly; apart from the regular registration of spambots, spam itself isn't a problem.

It's entirely possible that my sites are blocked in Germany; I know at least one of my Youtube videos is. But my girlfriend isn't in Germany, she's in Canada. As bad as government censorship and anti-White propaganda is getting there, it isn't illegal to view pro-White sites.

And government censorship aside, political dissent hardly seems like something to label a 'serious risk issue'.

Where do I contact this 'TrustedSource'?

NotBuyingIt
Reliable Contributor II
Message 4 of 4

Where do I contact this 'TrustedSource'?

There are probably better methods, but here is how I have done it.

Start here:

https://www.trustedsource.org/en/home/login

You will probably need to create a (free) account and to read about that organisation.  Examine the TrustedSource evaluation of your site(s).   Use the contact form or the contact email address to request a re-evaluation and state why.  The speed of a reply varies.  If TrustedSource detects a simple error, it may get fixed overnight and the change may be picked up by SiteAdvisor soon afterwards.  If matters other than a simple error are involved, a response may take considerably longer.  I have read that the configuration of some sites preclude TrustedSource from completing some of their automated tests, but I have no details about that.

Anyhow, here's the revised status of one of your sites. ( I've taken the liberty to post it before any SiteAdvisor representative has had a chance to join the thread and announce it.)

exerminanceOrg.png

Message was edited to display revised site status  on 8/31/11 9:00:21 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community