cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krishs
Contributor II
Message 1 of 22

Unethical (?) safe search option

Looks like there is options like site safe search option  with yahoo.

Accidently I have enabled the same .

so my chrome address bar  redirects to "useless- irritating yahoo search"

When I wanted to disable this feature I could not find the location.

So Where is the option is to diable feature?

Dont you think it is unethical to force the user to use an option that irritates him?

In any software i beleive uninstall /disable feature should be user friendly.

Why you are confusing the user?

21 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 22

Re: Unethical safe search option

This should be relatively easy to do.Simply expand the Drop Down Menu beside your SA Toolbar, and select options, then open "Secure Search" and remove the Checkmark.This should disable it. You will be required to enter your Site Advisor Password/ Save. Then close your Browser to complete the change,and reopen it.

It may be that since you are using "Chrome" you will have to make Google your Default Search Engine.

Hayton would be more knowledgeable in regards to Chrome, since I use Internet Explorer 11.

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/26/14 10:43:10 PM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
krishs
Contributor II
Message 3 of 22

Thanks,

But I dont see such check box anymore. and the yes button is not at all responding,

checkbox.jpg

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 22

I can see by your screenshot, you certainly don,t? I am using Site Advisor Live-Version 3.6.6.121, which does give you the capability. Again, maybe Hayton or another Moderator will pick up this thread, and can assist you further. I am uncertain if you can possibly disable it through Chrome or not, by choosing another Search provider?

Sorry,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
krishs
Contributor II
Message 5 of 22

Thats why I hate this product . When an option cant be disabled easily what is the need of using ?

This yahoo search kills my time.  I tried every other chorome level options too

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 22

If you dislike Site Advisor (Due to the Secure Search) - Yahoo Search. You can uninstall it via your control panel. And another viable option is to install (WOT) for Chrome. It gives "Safe Site" Ratings as well.In some cases many users use them both, side by side.

Just a thought....

All the very best,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
krishs
Contributor II
Message 7 of 22

Infact I tried the same ,no use cp.jpg

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 22

Since it is not listed in your Programs/Features,  Did you install it as a part of the initial installation of your McAfee Protection? When uninstalling McAfee Consumer Products, you have the option of choosing to (Remove) Site Advisor only.

You should be able to "Disable Site Advisor" with-in your Browser. And then install (WOT) for Chrome.

I might add, disable Site Advisor in Internet Explorer as well,or any other browser included.

That is if you wish not at this time to go the "Selective Uninstall Route" listed under my signature.

In other words, you do not have to "Uninstall your entire McAfee Protection"

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/27/14 12:12:51 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 22

You disable a browser extension such as SiteAdvisor the same way you would disable any other browser extension, in your browser add-ons section.

If it isn't functioning correctly then go to SiteAdvisor and download it again, the installer will remove the old one and replace it with a new version.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 22

Technical Support is available by phone or online chat free of charge and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page should you need their assistance.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community