cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 11 of 20

Re: Unable to get latest version of WebAdvisor working - even after several uninstalls/installs

Jump to solution

Thanks Cliff.

Mercury7,

Yes, there were several functions in WebAdvisor that were removed for the IE add-on, at the behest of Microsoft.  We documented these changes in this FAQ  - https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&articleId=TS102584

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 20

Re: Unable to get latest version of WebAdvisor working - even after several uninstalls/installs

Jump to solution

I think that more-or-less answers the questions, thanks Doug.

Mercury7
Contributor III
Message 13 of 20

Jump to solution

Thanks to all for the responses and information about the changes to WebAdvisor for IE.

Mercury7

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 20

Jump to solution

Yes, Thank you Doug

Especially for providing the FAQ.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 20

Jump to solution

Glad that your concerns were addressed

All the best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 20

Jump to solution

I might add that I intentionally typed in the incorrect (URL) for 'Ebay.com' (Ebdy.com). And McAfee Web Advisor did indeed throw up a prompt by detecting the 'Typo-Squatting' I am immensely impressed !   It is comforting to know that we are protected 'Behind the scenes'....

This feature is explained here:

What about the other McAfee WebAdvisor features?

All other McAfee WebAdvisor features are unaffected. When you install 4.0.4 on either Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox, you still get enhanced security which reduces the possibility of you navigating to malicious and phishing websites. For example, our innovative Typosquatting detection helps to prevent you landing on a "fake" website that is pretending to be legitimate. See TS102572 for more details about typosquatting.

Additional information on Typosquatting

https://securingtomorrow.mcafee.com/consumer/family-safety/what-is-typosquatting/

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
drekmonger
Contributor III
Message 17 of 20

Jump to solution

I have a couple of questions.  Are the McAfee engineers planning to redesign so that the annotations appear next to searches in IE11 at some future date?  I value those annotations highly, so will need to switch to Chrome at least for the near term, which isn't installed on any of my computers.  I have McAfee Total Protection installed with WebAdvisor.  Can I just install Chrome and MTP/WA will be recognized and WA will work with it after an authorization, or do I need to uninstall MTP/WA, run the clean-up tool, install Chrome and then reinstall MTP/WA so that that WA will recognize Chrome and work successfully with it?

Thanks.

Drek

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 20

Jump to solution

To answer your first question. I am uncertain as to when or if the 'Full' functionality will be back in Internet Explorer?  As I use Internet Explorer 11 myself by Default, I am not a 'Happy Camper' myself. However it is at the request of Microsoft, for the changes in integration of the Browser.

You do not have to uninstall your McAfee Total Protection to obtain Web Advisor. Proceed to install Chrome and if Web Advisor is not present. Go to  McAfee WebAdvisor by Intel Security and install.  Since I do not use Chrome, I do know that the Browser is very stringent in allowing extensions\add-ons. Downloading and installing from The Site inserted should suffice.

( I might add that I assume once Web Advisor is installed, it is installed across all Browsers that  accepts it.)

I am using Firefox periodically and all I did was change the Search preferences to 'Show search results in all search engines'.

Here is the FAQ  we were provided: https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&art icleId=TS102584

All the Best,

Cliff\CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 19 of 20

Jump to solution

drekmonger,

"Are the McAfee engineers planning to redesign so that the annotations appear next to searches in IE11 at some future date?"

==> this change was done at the behest of Microsoft, and is permanent (unless, of course, Microsoft changes it's mind)

As for uninstalling/reinstalling or changing your McAfee security suite, that won't make a difference because this change has been made in all versions of McAfee WebAdvisor from version 4.0.4 onward.

For retaining the annotations and other functionality (download scanning etc.), you've hit on the only available solution; use another browser (Chrome or Firefox).

Hope this helps

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 20

Jump to solution

Thanks Doug

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community