cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Farelf
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Unable Submit Site For Review

Different symptom, maybe unrelated, but just now (last several hours) I have been unable to submit a website for review at all (from SiteAdvisor lookup page. No difference whether logged in as reviewer or not. The subject site has resolving DNS records (it is the black.uribl.com list, as it happens).

I haven't has this happen before. No other ex-database domains to check at the moment but display of reviewed sites and adding of comments are working fine.

Any ideas? Is it related to the backlog issue?

Steve
13 Replies
hake
Former Member
Message 2 of 14

RE: Unable Submit Site For Review

This really important as it affects the credibility and value of the information presented by Site Advisor. Shame McAfee didn't put the effort into this instead of creating the post SA v6261 mess. 😞

I have tweaked my software firewall to prevent 6261 from being updated. 6261 works well. happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 14

Farelf, if you are having troubles then contact Technical Support. Top left of page or in my signature.

hake: The latest version is fine 2.8.292.

Note: when first downloading SA it is always an older version, then it updates within 24 - 72 hours.
Farelf
Former Member
Message 4 of 14

Thank you Peter. I will leave it a few days (well, it's the weekend anyway) and try from another location first. From the lack of "me too"s it might be just be something changed on this particular machine (though I can't think what - and different browsers give the same non-result, no alerts or firewall squarks - it all worked perfectly before but now "Submit Domain for review" just loops back to "We have no data for the page you requested. You can check another site using the look up box below," with no acceptance message).
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 14

I think some of the problems are for those who opted into the product improvement program when installing it.

Some of the other issues though escape me altogether.
Farelf
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

Peter, group,

Panic over - I can submit sites for review, etc. from the other computer. Against the odds, it seems I must have never before tried submitting for review from the 'first' computer - so I only saw that I can't do that, for the first time, when I made my initial post. The browser plugin is not currently installed on either machine (I had to uninstall it from one because it was not 'playing nice' with the LAN, IIRC) which meant the differences between them were not evident.

Sorry for the confusion, which was entirely my fault.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 14

Glad you are OK now.
Farelf
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

Now this is downright embarrassing. I am or was confused about being confused. I can submit any other site for testing (that I've tried) but not the one I first posted about (which is seen in the link in my initial post, above).

This is simply another DomainsByProxy registered domain (I've seen others, no problems with them - excepting the spam), hosted on 89.46.61.17 through draculahosting/PromoArt (a bit of a spam history there too). And there is no way I can get it submitted. I will take this up with tech support but thought I should mention it here. What, after all, is life without the odd bit of disconcertment and discombobulation, to be shared? No, no, don't thank me, please.

Steve
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 14

No idea why it's happening. Tech Support should be able to help, hopefully.
Farelf
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

Just to follow up - I never did get to support but, mysteriously, I can now submit previously unsubmitted sites again, for review. At no stage did I have a problem adding comments to reviewed or unreviewed sites that had already been submitted, just with getting SA to accept *my* nominations for review. Now, automagically, I can again.

I have always found the submission pages - more particularly the log-in process - flaky (log-in not "sticking" when trying to add comments) but with peseverence always make it in the end.

This problem was (seemingly) not log-in related since submission for review can be anonymous, that's the way I usually do it, then log in to add comments pending review if I have any.

But logged-in or not I could not submit anything for review, therefore was not able to make comment (unless it had already been submitted for review by someone else). Starting with charmeddeals.com, which someone else has evidently submitted since. But I have been able to make my own submissions again, for some days now.

I see a more recently-started topic where someone else was having a problem too. That may or may not be related but from my perspective the interface is a bit of a 'bear', regardless of browser. Some days all is fine, others I have to work at it. But at least I can contribute observations on 'new' pests/threats again.

Prattling on here because I would think it probable that others are, and will continue to be, similarly affected from time to time. From my experience it (whatever 'it' is) seems intermittent. Which is at once a consolation ('this too will pass') and a frustration (what the heck causes it and how can it be fixed or avoided?).
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community