Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markiebeau
Contributor III
Message 1 of 4

Trusted sites.

Jump to solution

Still need some assistance with this info...

I am not sure how this all works but in my McAfee firewall settings under Networks I have one instance of a range of IP addresses listed as a "Trusted" site. In the Description it says "Automatically added by trusted private network." Is this my ISP or what? I tried to remove it and when I rebooted my computer the same range of addresses came back as trusted. Just trying to learn how this all works, since in my recent events log under Internet and Network and Inbound Events it gives date, time, etc. and an IP address within the trusted range and it says "A computer at home attempted an unsolicitated connection to UDP port 3957 on your computer.The source IP is a 'non-routeable' IP." It could not be traced.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated as I am somewhat paranoid of my computer being hacked after reading everything that has been going on.

Thanx.

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 12/27/10 7:01:09 PM CST

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 12/27/10 7:03:53 PM CST

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 12/30/10 8:44:19 PM CST

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 12/30/10 8:46:54 PM CST

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 12/30/10 8:49:57 PM CST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markiebeau
Contributor III
Message 4 of 4

Re: Trusted sites.

Jump to solution

Alright...I've done some investigating and found out that the "home" IP that attempted an unsolicitated connect to a certain port on my computer is my own wireless gateway router. I turned it off and back on...did this perhaps cause this message?

Probly not the right place to post this. Any suggestions?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi markiebeau,

When creating entries in the banned IP list, be careful not to include the IP address of your computer, or your local subnet, as this can cause network connectivity problems.The added IP address should be one among your computer or local subnet. If you suspect, please follow the below steps and verify the IP and proceed accordingly;

Determine the IP address for your computer

1. From the Start menu click Run, type cmd, and click OK.
    Note:
    Windows Vista users must access the command prompt by selecting Search in the Start menu, typing cmd, then double-clicking cmd in the search results window.
  2. In the command prompt window, type ipconfig /all and press ENTER.
  3. Write down your IP address..

Verify your IP address is not on the banned IPs list

1. From the McAfee Security Center, Home, select Internet & Network, and click Configure on the right panel.
  2. Click Advanced and select Trusted and Banned IPs.
  3. In the pull down menu, select Banned IP Addresses.
  4. Verify your computer's own IP address and subnet are not listed

If you find the added IP to be unknown, then you can go ahead and ban them as required

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

markiebeau
Contributor III
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Still need some help with this.....

I believe you misunderstand or I haven't explained well enough. Please refer to my original post.

There is an IP address is listed in "the range" section of trusted sites. But why is it a range like 111.111.1.234 to 111.111.1.255. Also under recent events it says " I have an unsolicitated attempt to connect to a certain port from this IP address" under Internet and Network, Inbound Events. The source IP is in that "range". Host name says "home", event information says "UDP port number 3957".

Then it says "the source IP is a non routeable IP". Please explain. Is my own computer or ISP trying to connect to a port on my computer?? I need to know what's going on. Again, please refer to my original post. I am not trying to add IPs as trusted sites.

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 12/28/10 7:12:27 PM CST

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 12/30/10 8:43:29 PM CST
markiebeau
Contributor III
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Alright...I've done some investigating and found out that the "home" IP that attempted an unsolicitated connect to a certain port on my computer is my own wireless gateway router. I turned it off and back on...did this perhaps cause this message?

Probly not the right place to post this. Any suggestions?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community