cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sneader
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Trouble with site verification by IP

McAfee SiteAdvisor, for unknown reasons, is blocking our web hosting server's IP address, 67.225.195.30.  In order to start the process of getting assistance, we are required to create a special web page and make it accessible via the given URL.  We did this, and the web page is accessible.  See for yourself:

http://67.225.195.30/67.225.195.30ff61b51269e684c33a2902068e9afafef65bd0d8.html

However, after clicking "verify", McAfee says:

Error Verifying Site

Could not verify the Web site file

Please be sure you have placed the verification file in the root Web directory of your site, using the exact file name listed above.

Um, OK... already done this.

Now what?

- Scott

11 Replies
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 2 of 12

Re: Trouble with site verification by IP

Hi sneader and welcome to the McAfee Community Forums!

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with verification.  Could you please provide your website name?

Thanks!

sneader
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi Pete.  We are a web hosting provider and have hundreds of domains on that server.  I can tell you that I have had many complaints from people trying to reach the ham radio classified ad site at http://swap.qth.com.  If you check that site, McAfee says it's fine.  However, since McAfee is blocking the IP ADDRESS (67.225.195.30), anyone using McAfee cannot view the classified ads (since swap.qth.com's IP is 67.225.195.30)

Now what?

- Scott

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Hi again Scott!

I must say...I am at a loss to explain the problem(s) you are encountering.  McAfee's Trusted Source site does not indicate the IP address you provided nor the website name as being high-riskIn running the IP through dnsstuff I see nothing unusual either.  Since your site is relatively new, the WOT (Web of Trust) site has no current rating for it.  The only oddity I note is when I ran the URL you provided in your initial post through McAfee's Trusted Source site.  It was shown as being high-riskWhen I clicked on the URL myself, McAfee's SiteAdvisor Live did red-flag it as being associated with spyware, viruses, etc.  I had no trouble accessing your website myself.  Neither my AV nor Malwarebytes alerted on it.

At this point, I would hope that McAfee's tech staff or some of the more experienced forum members will respond to your post here.  They may have a better insight into what's occurring in this situation than I do.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help at this point.

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 8/5/11 2:51:53 PM EDT

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 8/5/11 2:53:41 PM EDT
sneader
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

"McAfee'sTrusted Source site does not indicate the IP address you provided nor the website name as being high-risk.  "

Huh?  Look at:  http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/67.225.195.30

"potential security risks with this site.  Use with extreme caution."

"Since your site is relatively new, the WOT (Web of Trust) site has no current rating for it."

I don't understand.  Relatively new?  Our site (swap.qth.com) has been around for years (qth.com registered in 1996, swap.qth.com probably got going around 2000).  We have been using the IP of 67.225.195.30 since 2008.  There is nothing "relatively new" about us at all.

"The only oddity I note is when I ran the URL you provided in your initial post through McAfee's Trusted Source site.  It was shown as being high-riskWhen I clicked on the URL myself, McAfee's SiteAdvisor Live did red-flag it as being associated with spyware, viruses, etc.  I had no trouble accessing your website myself.  Neither my AV nor Malwarebytes alerted on it."

And, thus, is my reason I am here.  I have had all sorts of people contacting me with trouble in accessing the site, due to McAfee blocking it. 

Since nobody at McAfee will help me (I appreciate your volunteer efforts) and their site verification process is broken, yet no humans are reachable at McAfee to work with me on this, I will have no alternative but to just tell folks that McAfee is no longer a valid product to use, and to get rid of it, and use Microsoft Security Essentials.  What other option do I have?

- Scott

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Hi Scott,

There appears to be a discrepancy between what info McAfee's Trusted Source site is providing (i.e. MINIMAL RISK), and what the McAfee link you gave is showing for the IP address.  I've checked it twice now and the results are identical.  (I have no idea why this is happening though).

As for what WOT is showing, this may be simply because no one has ever commented or provided any kind of personal rating for them to go on...despite the fact your site has been active for quite a while.  At this point, I would suggest giving your post here at least another day or two, and see if a moderator or McAfee tech support person picks up on it and can provide better help than I.  It can sometimes take a little while in the forums here (which doesn't make it any less frustrating though). 

sneader
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for your comments.  I will stand by and hope that someone at McAfee will take pity on me and attempt to assist.

- Scott

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

Hi Scott,

I found some info elsewhere in the forums here which MAY be of a little help...if you want to look at it via the link below.  (It's a post [and responses to it] which were made by another forum member)

https://community.mcafee.com/message/67505#67505

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 8/5/11 3:31:38 PM EDT
sneader
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

If that link is to show me how to create the blank html file to verify my site, I've already done it (see my first post) and you can even test the link -- it works fine.  It's McAfee's system that is screwed up, as it says it's not there, but anyone can plainly see that it is there and it is working.

Thanks, though.

McAfee -- hello, anybody there to help?  How can someone get help?

- Scott

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Hi again Scott!

I finally received a response back from McAfee's SiteAdvisor tech support staff today.  I forwarded the email to you via the email address shown at the bottom of your website page, since I did not see anything in your profile here.  If you do not receive the email, post back here, and I will manually type in the email's contents.

Best Regards,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community