cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hake
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Toolbar Bloat and how to stop SA 2.6.6261 being updated

I tried the current version of Site Advisor and immediately cursed my intemperate and unwise action. I reinstalled version 2.6.6261 which is effective and minimalist.

You can prevent automatic updates by judicious use of a personal firewall. I prevent SAService.exe and SiteAdv.exe from accessing remote port 443. I also disallow any TCP/IP network access by SAReg.exe and SASync.exe. Version 2.6.6261 is thus left in peace.

SA 2.6.6261 works beautifully. No doubt it will eventually become incompatible with IE and Firefox but I imagine that that is quite a while off yet. I expect that Firefox 5 will be 2.6.6261's nemesis.
2 Replies
evilfantasy
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

RE: Toolbar Bloat and how to stop SA 2.6.6261 being updated

I was going to complain a bit myself of the new bloat but you nailed it.

I love Site Advisor but please STOP with the bloat. I know the Safe Search is easy to turn off but the new rating icon is much larger and I like a minimalistic browser. I use Firefox and am fond of the minimalistic themes. The new rating icon sort of messed that all up!

This is not appealing...

PS. Again, I do love Site Advisor. I just hope not to see any more upgrades like this one.
lordpake
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

RE: Toolbar Bloat and how to stop SA 2.6.6261 being updated

Anyone have any ideas where to download the Firefox plugin only? Website offers only bundle anymore, and I DO NOT want to install SA for IE or have any more unneeded services running in my box, as introduced by the latest update.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community