cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imageman100
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

The "Yahoo search" inconvenience, my 2 cents worth !!

Jump to solution

Windows 10 Pro  /  McAfee Total Protection, latest version

It's taken considerable bits of time over months to discover that the pesky "Yahoo Search" engine with no obvious uninstaller I believe is a result of McAfee Total Protection sneaking it in with updates.

I dislike "Yahoo search" intensely because it appears out of nowhere like malware without an uninstaller.  I don't want it on my server or workstations. The dislike for Yahoo has now clouded my sense of Intel McAfee's professionalism.

If anyone cares, do a search on the problem and you'll find thousands of complaints, and solutions that don't work. - Ticked Off, IM

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Re: The "Yahoo search" inconvenience, my 2 cents worth !!

Jump to solution

I suggest that you go to your Control Panel and select McAfee Web Advisor and remove/RESTART.. Then re-install and if asked to select (Yahoo Safe Search) to decline. You have the choice to elect Google/or other search engines as your default.

WebAdvisor Download  I hope this helps...

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

9 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

​,

Moved from Business to McAfee WebAdvisor (formerly SiteAdvisor .Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

I suggest that you go to your Control Panel and select McAfee Web Advisor and remove/RESTART.. Then re-install and if asked to select (Yahoo Safe Search) to decline. You have the choice to elect Google/or other search engines as your default.

WebAdvisor Download  I hope this helps...

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
imageman100
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

catdaddy - Thank you for your speedy reply! We (my IT guy actually) figured this out this morning. I marked your answer as "Correct" - Best, IM

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Glad that all is okay now

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Anyone experiencing this in the future - Webadvisor Secure Search employs Yahoo because that is the only search engine that has signed up, thus far.

If you see it's on and you didn't want it, it means a popup occurred asking if you wanted to use it and you must have inadvertently clicked OK.

It's easy to turn off.

Simply click just to the right side of ther "M" in your upper browser toolbar on the right-hand side, click Options.  You'll see something like this:

Capture.JPG

Make sure that centre selection is checked.  Then in your browser options select which search engine you'd prefer to use.

elah
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

I had already done the above, and also found another spot in McAfee to ensure that Chrome opens up to google.com which greatly reduced unwanted presence of Yahoo.

Now a search only occasionally pops up in the completely useless Yahoo Search.  But I want to not ever be diverted to Yahoo Search.

So I joined this community in hopes of finding a definitive fix (short of uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee, an idea that makes me nervous).  I find there are years of complaints about this problem, and no one from McAfee has troubled themselves to provide one unambiguous solution that actually works. 

The earliest complaint about this single problem seems to date to 2009.  It's nearly 2018.  Still no clear solution.  Anyone ever read this forum that actually works at McAfee?  Hello?  Hello? 

elah
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks...this sounds like it might work.  But the very idea that the only way to correct this nonsense is to reinstall while watching for the trick question...really?  The problem has apparently existed for years, with no response from McAfee. Customers expect and deserve a better answer.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Make sure that choice is set in ALL browsers.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

I should have added, if WebAdvisor goes through a major update, the settings sometimes go back to default.

That's just something you have to keep a lookout for.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community