cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Uli
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Suddenly SiteAdvisor alerts in my AOL webmail

I am using AOL webmail for years. And I have McAfee AntiVirus Plus with the Site Advisor for years. Starting on Wednesday, January 18th, something new appeared.

On the advertising ribbon on top of my AOL it says:

We tested this page and blocked content that comes from potentially dangerous or suspicious sites.

Allow this content only if you're sure it comes from safe sites.      View all blocked content

And when wanting to open a .pdf or a .docx attachment sent to me by trusted friends, it says:

When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors.

Everything else seems its usually normal.

Do I have to worry about my AOL webmail being infected or hacked?  Or is the SiteAdvisor just acting up for no reason?

Thanks, Uli

12 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Re: Suddenly SiteAdvisor alerts in my AOL webmail

Hello Uli,

Can you please click on Drop box beside McAfee Site Advisor tool bar – Click on About and let us know the version details

Also please provide a screen capture of the pop up that would give us an better view of the issue.

Thanks,

jh7
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Hello,

This has been happening to me too for the last week.  Clicking on "View Blocked Sites" today didn't bring anything up - but made the bar disappear instantly.  It has not come back yet, so unable to provide a screenshot.

We are using Internet Security Suite, with Site Advisor version 3.4.0.143.  Would be nice to know what was causing this, even if it doesn't reappear.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: jh7 on 24/01/12 13:52:35 CST
Uli
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Hi!  I am using McAfee AntiVurus Plus and I too have the Site Advisor 3.4.0.143. And clicking on "View Blocked Sites" also made the bar go away, but didnt bring anything up. Just like with you. I think yesterday and definitely today the bar was gone anyway.   Thanks for responding!    Uli

Uli
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Hi Dinz,

please see my reply above. Also, trying to open attachments shows no more warnings. But I remember they were red on white starting: Whoa !!! Are you sure you want to go there ??? But at least now I reviewed how to take a screen shot, since you had asked. Good to know how to do this again!

Thank you Dinesh !!!  Uli

davoud1
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Can you point out the exact AOL URL?

klinker
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

I think it's all related to the random ads on the website. McAfee has been blocking a lot of these the past several weeks, usually websites using  Atwola ads which are prevalent on AOL. There have been several with Google placed ads as well (Googleads doubleclick I think it's called). I visit a couple of websites were I actually know the owners of the site, so I know they are totally legit websites, and they have been getting questions about the random ads being flagged on their websites from McAfee users. Sometimes the McAfee warning is there by itself, and sometimes the ad it's blocking is just a white or gray block. If you refresh the page, the warning usually disappears because the random ad will have been changed.

I don't know of McAfee is doing a better job at this, if the security thresholds by McAfee were tightened, or what is going on for sure, but I chalk these warnings as McAfee working to protect your  computer. Lastly, make sure not to click on those ads anyway.

Uli
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Hi Davoud,

This URL seems to be the same no matter where I am in AOL, Inbox, Sent, Trash, Compose, whatever..... I was going to post it for you, then paused, since the URL has a bunch of numbers which may just be mine ??? And I worried a hacker may just look for these URLs all over the web in order to hack email accounts? Sounds like this could be a whole new discussion......

Sorry, I just know too little to judge this possibility.......   Uli

Uli
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Thanks Klinker!

Good answer!

Strange however that I also got these scary warnings when trying to open attachments I knew were safe and from trusted friends. Well, all is back to normal now.

Actually, before this all began I had forwarded a phishing message with phishing attachment to abuse@phishingobject.com. Forgot to whom it was. Maybe this attachment really was infected, McAfee noticed and the warnings started? I never open these phishing attachments, but maybe McAfee can tell they are infected even they remain closed until I delete them?

Uli

davoud1
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Sorry -- I am still trying to understand the issue here. Is this blocking happening with the top most URL (like AOL.com) or is the blocking happening in the iframes where the Ads and other events happen? I am trying to understand if we are blocking a vendor who has a bad reputation from displaying ads or is AOL.com itself is blocked (entire page.)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community