cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwap
Former Member
Message 51 of 193

Re: Strange characters (appears Chinese or Japanese) in tabs bar portion of Firefox with Site Advisor 3.7.1

Jump to solution

I too have had this problem for the past couple of months - I have just updated McAfee All Access (fresh installation) and run the update tool.

However, the problem still exists in Firefox v34.0.5 (UK English version).

There have been some minor improvements today, in that it is now ony one or two chinese characters above the X in each tab (rather than the whole tab being obliterated by chinese characters).

chinese-characters-in-firefox.gif

It is definitely down to Site Advisor - if I disable this in Firefox, then the error goes away.

If you are having problems re-creating the issue:

a) Enable the Site Advisor add-on for Firefox

b) Restart Firefox - go to any website.

c) Open a new private window - no need to open a web page.

d) Go back to the original Firefox instance and then open a new tab.

kansaskeith
Contributor
Message 52 of 193

Re: Strange characters (appears Chinese or Japanese) in tabs bar portion of Firefox with Site Advisor 3.7.1

Jump to solution

rwap is correct.  The number of Asian characters showing seems to be down, but, darn it, the problem persists, and has gone on too darn long now.  I have been lurking on this thread for a while but finally decided to step forward formally and say FIX IT.

Terribly distressed two big names like Mozilla and McAfee put us through this.

See attached screencap.  Note the characters in tab 3.  Also note the main body of the screen tab which shows I *do* have the latest addon version of Site Advisor.  Finally note tab one - Fidelity Investments.  That site being open, particularly when I open multiple windows on it to get stock quotes, etc., seems to be a common denominator for me in causing the Asian Character problem.  When the markets are closed on weekends and I seldom go to fidelity, the problem occurs less.  I am extremely frustrated this can't get fixed.  asiancharacters.jpg

Peacekeeper
Message 53 of 193

Jump to solution

With the xmas break things slow down we re-stirred the techs re this in yesterday's moderator call so hopefully something will happen soon. I cot the whole top line of tabs all the characters yesterday could not read even 1 tab as all was obscured

kansaskeith
Contributor
Message 54 of 193

Jump to solution

Yes, Peacekeeper, but as the above posts indicate something definitely did change this morning, a new version of the add on Site Advisor released January 6 and the Asian character problem, while reduced, is still there.  The purpose of my post, and I believe rwap's above mine, was to make sure folks know that the January 6 add on update didn't fix the problem.  At least not totally.

Peacekeeper
Message 55 of 193

Jump to solution

I still have 3.7.1.156 what is your number?

I saw that post in another thread from the forum tech asking all to update so something is being done but not fixed as yet I gather

kansaskeith
Contributor
Message 56 of 193

Jump to solution

If we're comparing apples to apples on version numbers, peacekeeper, I seem to be at 3.7.1, dated today, Jan. 6.

See body of the screen cap (not just the tabs part) four posts above.  Is there a place I am supposed to look to get the number beyond 3.7.1 (where you say you have ".156")?  Thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 57 of 193

Jump to solution

You can check in 2 places, if you have the complete suite open SecurityCenter and then click About (bottom right) and scroll down for the full SA version number and date.  Or you can click to the right of the SA icons in your browser and you should see a drop-down menu, click About there.

PK, my version is the same as yours.

rwap
Former Member
Message 58 of 193

Jump to solution

Oddly, my SiteAdvisor is 3.7.1.154 - dated 5th January.  I just did a check for update and it confirmed it is the latest version.... (maybe because I am in the UK?)

Wonder how I get v3.7.1.156 ?  Although does that actually fix the problem?

kansaskeith
Contributor
Message 59 of 193

Jump to solution

OK, ExBrit, thanks; seems to be the same version as yours, and is dated Dec. 30.  But note the screen cap seven posts above says my system was actually updated today.  By the way, rwap's and my conclusions that the number of Asian characters showing has been reduced may not be valid.  Since I posted that, I have begun to get the whole tab line cluttered again.  Bah.  mcafee.jpg

kansaskeith
Contributor
Message 60 of 193

Jump to solution

No, rwap, it does NOT solve the problem, I am afraid.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community