cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Siteadvisor popup on start up

I am using Internet Security, and it wasn't until recently when I had an update for siteadvisor did this happen. Only when I first turn on my computer for that day, I will get a popup from siteadvisor saying something like siteadvisor isn't enable. I don't remember what the popup said, but I am given three choices, which is to turn on siteadvisor (requires browser restart), leave it alone, or something like leave it alone and disable it through all browser.  The last option, I can't remember too well.

However, I have siteadvisor enable for both Firefox and Internet Explorer. To check I start both browser up and see the siteadvisor with it check mark on google.com (homepage). The only thing that I have disabled is the scriptscan in Firefox because I didn't think I need it since I don't enable javascript and when I do, I use NoScript.

So what is this popup? What is causing this? And is this legit and really from siteadvisor?

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: Siteadvisor popup on start up

Every time it upgrades, or the browsers do, it repeats itself asking your permission.   I would enable scriptscan if I were you.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

But the popup I am talking about isn't the one that appears in the browser and asks to set Secure Search within siteadvisor and the browser. I get this popup as soon as I start up my computer and the McAfee icon is loaded in the bottom right corner.

So what is causing this popup if siteadvisor is installed amd working? Only thing is that I disabled the scriptscan, but I disabled that on 3 other machines and they don't have this popup. One has the same OS while one is XP and the other is Win 7.

Is this popup a legit popup?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Well until you action that popup, either say yes or no, it will continue to pop-up.      As I said I see it every time the software upgrades.   If it happens more often in your machine then it shouldn't, so run the MVT to see if it changes it:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/ and if not then contact Technical Support to troubleshoot a bug.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Sorry for the late reply, but I was searching through McAfee to see if anyone else had this problem.

Basically, what happens is that avout every once a day when my computer starts up I have a popup from SiteAdvisor saying that my Browsing is not Secure. Then it goves me three options: 1. to turn on SiteAdvisor (requires restart of browsers) 2. Leave it off 3. Leave it off and don't ask again.

The thing is I check both my Internet Explorer and Firefox. Both of them have SiteAdvisor turned on and it running. Did a Google search and it has the SiteAdvisor rating next to results. So why is it asking me to turn it on, when it is on? And is this a legit McAfee popup?

Here is a thread with the same problem:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/46198

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

I forgot to mention that the computer was updated to Security Center 12.1 or something. Since it has a new interface for the History and Logs and the Security Report.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Must simply be corrupted as it certainly shouldn't be doing that,  I would unintall via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of the page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

12.1?  Sure you aren't running the beta?  I guess they've released it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/09/12 6:35:58 EDT AM
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Is there any other solution other than uninstalling? Also is that popup a legit SiteAdvisor popup? If it is a legit popup, then I don't mind selecting an option. But I don't want to uninstall my Security Center and reapply all my settings and everything after reinstalling.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Yes it's legit.  I just added a remark above, sure you aren't running beta with 12.1?   Maybe they released it early.

I suppose you could try running the latest MVT but answer first re: using beta or not because they emaploy different MVT's.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

I don't know what you mean by beta, since I got the Security Center update when I manually used the "Cehck for Updates" in Security Center. After the updates installed, I had a UI like the one in the thread I mentioned before.

As for the SiteAdvisor, I think I am running version 3.5. But I don't remember what the numbers behind 3.5 was.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community