cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJS
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Siteadvisor keeps disappearing in my Firefox...

I've been using SiteAdvisor for a long time now and am grateful to use it. But recently something happened on my computer that my Siteadvisor disappeared from my Firefox browser (2.0.0.11). When I reinstall Siteadvisor, everything seems to go fine and I restart Firefox, and then siteadvisor usually reappears in the status bar where it should be. But if I close Firefox and restart again, no more Siteadvisor! It's not listed in the add-ons anymore either.

I should mention that I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of Firefox in case it was something corrupted with Firefox, but that didn't help--still the same problem.

Any ideas of what is causing the problem? On on Windows XP SP2. And I should probably note that SiteAdvisor still works with my IE7.
9 Replies
OliverJohnSimps
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

RE: Siteadvisor keeps disappearing in my Firefox...

Can you try to reinstall your Firefox browser? Just to check if it’s a problem with the McAfee Site Advisor can you also try to reinstall the firefox as well. Before which I would suggest you run the McAfee Virtual Technician to check if there is any problem with the McAfee Products installed on the computer. To run the McAfee Virtual Technician please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Click on the following link https://us.mcafee.com/root/mvtapp.exe now you would get a file download security warning click on save and save it to the desktop.
2. Now click on ‘Run’ on the next window which would open the McAfee Virtual Technician.
3. Click on ‘Continue’ which would give you the End User License Agreement click on ‘I Agree’.
4. Now the McAfee Virtual Technician would start scanning your computer.
5. Once the scanning is done on the top right corner you would have the Session ID make a note of it.
6. Now if it gives you an ‘Auto Fix’ option please go-ahead and try to resolve the issue or if it gives any message make a note of it.
Now please give us the Session ID so that we can have a look at the information.

Thanks,
OJ
CJS
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

RE: Siteadvisor keeps disappearing in my Firefox...

Thanks for help, Oliver. You asked me to reinstall Firefox--I've all ready done that as noted in my original post; did you want me to reinstall it yet again?

I ran the Virtual Technician and it didn't find anything wrong. My ID is 7435965. Also I should mention I've done in-depth scanning with AVG antivirus/anti-spyware, ad-aware, and Spybot, and they didn't find anything significant.

Please let me know if you have any more ideas of what to do. Thanks!
wanted-66
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Site advisor/Firefox 2.0.0.11 issues

I have the same problem. SA disappears- is not in list of installed plugins etc. I reinstall it, same thing happens. Windows XP Pro.
Is this a compatability problem? I would really miss SA if it doesn't work.
OliverJohnSimps
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

RE: Site advisor/Firefox 2.0.0.11 issues

CJS/wanted-66

Were your firefox browsers open when you were installing the McAfee Products on to your computer? If so uninstall the McAfee Site Advisor and then reinstall it from your online subscription account or if it’s the freeware version that you are using please navigate to SiteAdvisor website and then download it back and make sure that all your browsers are closed when you install.
CJS
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

I'm using the freeware version, so there is no way to close Firefox and install the siteadvisor add-on at the same time that I'm aware of--I have to go to the website to download it, and that means firefox must be open. Am I misunderstanding your directions or something?
OliverJohnSimps
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Well CJS what you need to do is go to the SiteAdvisor website and save the setup file to your desktop and then close all Internet Explorer or Firefox windows and then run the setup file and check if you are able to get it on your Firefox browser.
Cyberian
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

I am experiencing the same problem, willing to follow Olivers advice however I find it impossible to download the set up file to my desktop from the SiteAdvisor website. How to do?
YoKenny
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Does SiteAdvisor work in IE?

If you can't get to the SiteAdvisor site then the system might have one of the anitvirus2009 infections that could be a bit tricky to remove.

I would download MBAM then update it then run a Quick scan and let it remove what it detects and a reboot may be required to remove locked files:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
OliverJohnSimps
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

As suggested above can you please check if you have a folder in your program files which reads antivirus2009 or something similar to it.

To get to the program files section click on Start> My Computer> Double click on Local Disk (c):> Program Files
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community