Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vvienne
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Siteadvisor in Toolbar disappears

Hi

I am using SiteAdvisor and IE 7. It has worked well until yesterday when it started disappearing from the toolbar. If I choose it to show as a toolbar, it shows up and works fine until I close IE and reopen it again. It disappears again even though I have ticked 'lock toolbars'. I have a run a virus check using two different anti virus programs and the computer is clean.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program but that didn't fix it and the problem remains.

Any help you can give me in fixing this problem would be most appreciated.

Vivienne
14 Replies
yoda226us
Former Member
Message 2 of 15

site advisor dissappears - part II

Vivienne:

My Site Advisor also dissappeared; while using IE 7. But mine has been gone for a VERY long time. If I log in with my wife's login, it shows up; but not in mine.

And uninstalling and re-installing doesn't help. Getting the latest version doesn't help either. And I also use an anti-virus program. And I've had McAfee's online program check and find no problems also.

Sincerely;

Mike Beaver CHt.
http://www.profoundstates.com
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

RE: Siteadvisor in Toolbar disappears

Well, it seems about everyone has an issue with the SiteAdvisor !

The only suggestion I have, not without risk: uninstall all your McAfee software (see for the correct procedure Ex Brits' instructions somewhere on this forum, this involves using the MCPR tool). Then reinstall from your online account (I assume you have a subscription), and if you like, update the SiteAdvisor to the latest version.
yoda226us
Former Member
Message 4 of 15

using the MCPR tool

Riddlez
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

RE: using the MCPR tool

MCPR= McAfee CPR ? happy
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Hello Vivienne,

We received your message reporting that SiteAdvisor toolbar disappears on IE 7 abruptly. Thank you for contacting us.

We would need some more information before we could help you out. Please answer the following questions:-

1. Could you please specify the version of SiteAdvisor you are using. To find this,
(i) Click on the black arrow mark in the SiteAdvisor toolbar
(ii) A drop-down menu would appear. On this menu, click on the "About" option
(iii) In the 'About' dialog box, just above the 'OK' button, 'Version' would be displayed. (e.g., 2.6.0.6253 - This is the latest version).

2. Please specify the Operating System (OS) you are using. Please mention the service pack as well.
(For e.g., Vista 32 Home Basic SP1 or Windows XP Home SP2). This helps QA to try and reproduce the same and narrow down the problem.

3. Are there any other toolbars installed on IE. For e.g., Google toolbar, Yahoo! toolbar etc. If yes, is this issue seen with those toolbars as well?

4. Please check if the SiteAdvisor Browser Helper Object (BHO) is enabled. To check this, please follow the steps given below:-
(i) Open Internet Explorer
(ii) Click on Tools (or press Alt+T)
(iii) Click on 'Mange Add-ons'. Click on 'Enable or Disable Add-ons...' option.
(iv) In the 'Mange Add-ons' dialog box, check if 'McAfee SiteAdvisor' Type: Toolbar is enabled. Also check if 'SiteAdvisor' Type: Browser Helper Object is enabled.
If any of these options are disabled, please enable the same, close and re-open the browser.

5. Please check if 'SiteAdv.exe' and 'SAService.exe' processes are running. To check this, please follow the steps given below:-
(i) Open Internet Explorer
(ii) Open Windows Task Manager. This can be done by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys or right-click on the Taskbar and click 'Task Manager' option
(iii) In the 'Windows Task Manager' window, click on 'Processes' tab. Check if 'SiteAdv.exe' and 'SAService.exe' are displayed.

6. You could also try restarting SiteAdvisor service.
(i) Click 'Start' and click on 'Run'
(ii) Type 'services.msc' (without quotes on the Run Dialog)
(iii) In the 'Services' window, search for 'SiteAdvisor Service'. Right-click on it and select 'Restart' option.
Now, check open IE and check whether SiteAdvisor toolbar is displayed.

We also suggest you to go through the following links.
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=106808&lc=1033
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=106782&lc=1033
This should help solve the problem.

Once you give us the information requested above, we'll get back to you immediately with a solution if possible. Until then, you can continue to use SiteAdvisor by installing Mozilla Firefox browser and run the setup again or you could also download the SiteAdvisor firefox extension from http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ff.html. Thank you for being a McAfee customer.

Sincerely,
Praveen Rajaretnam
Associate Software QA Engineer
McAfee SiteAdvisor Consumer QA
connect4
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

Hi, I've been using McAfee Site advisor for months and its worked fine.

HOWEVER, yesterday I've just installed a program called SuRun
(http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196737)

This program is like runnings windows on a Limited User Account.
However, this program is very convenient in that, while you are running a limited user account, you can *conveniently start or run any program with administrative rights.

I use firefox and when I install other plug-ins they work fine.

Mcafee works fine, but disappears.
I tried to run Firefox as admin but it still disappears.

How do I make it "stick?"
Philbee
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

i have had the same problem with FF3 RC2. in my case, i install the firefox extension which works fine, but after a reboot it somehow changes to the firefox extension included with the IE plugin!

i no longer have the green checkmarks on any search of google. it worked fine until FF3 RC2 was released.

any help is MUCH appreciated. it was working fine until i upgraded to FF3RC2.
connect4
Former Member
Message 9 of 15

Philbee, this bug is soo annoying isn't it? WHY doesn't McAfee SiteAdvisor WORK????

Arggh! this sucks, I've been running without McAfee Sit Advisor for a day, And i'm *soo used to it helping me decipher which website is safe or not.

I have been using McAfee Site Advisor for months fine. After starting to us LUA, (Windows Limited User Account) I've began to have problems.

How can I install McAffee Site Advisor for *good, under my LUA? (Which I can run installation programs and programs with Admin rights thanks to SuRun program)

I'd really appreciate if someone can help me fix this
MickJagger
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

SiteAdvisor Toolbar Disappears- IE8

Dear Praveen Rajaretnam,
Associate Software QA Engineer
McAfee SiteAdvisor Consumer QA

My SiteAdvisor Toolbar constantly disappears. I'm using IE8.
SiteAdvisor Version 2.9.258
Windows Vista 32 Home Premium SP2
Google Toolbar – no issues – toolbars locked is checked
SiteAdvisor Browser Helper Object (BHO) is enabled
SiteAdvisor Toolbar is enabled
'SiteAdv.exe' and 'SAService.exe' do not show up in the processes tab, Task Manager
SiteAdvisor is running in Services.

Please Help
MickJagger
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community