Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
overit
Former Member
Message 1 of 47

Siteadvisor continuously stops working?

Jump to solution

Hello.. I am having a continuous problem with Siteadvisor just not working.. The icon in the taskbar is grey not green..

Normally I can contact Tech Support and they fix the problem but this time a level 1 tried to help but with not success and now i am waiting on a Level 2 to contact me on Friday.. thats in 2 days.

I am running Internet Explorer 11 with Windows 7..SiteAdvisor is Enabled..

I have uninstalled and downloaded and reinstalled at least twice today.

What would cause Siteadvisor to keep 'dropping out'? Its getting to the stage that i wonder if McAfee is working at all..

Can someone give me some advice please.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
overit
Former Member
Message 18 of 47

Re: Siteadvisor continuously stops working?

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone

Finally I have contacted Tech Support and connected to a Tier 2 support person.

It appears after running a Windows System Files check that I had a corrupted file that Windows fixed.

ATM I have SiteAdvisor up and working and hopefully it will stay that way..

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and helpful ideas

Cheers

View solution in original post

46 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 47

Jump to solution

The technicians will hopefully sort it out for you as we can only guess here on the forums.  It could be that the SA servers are temporarily unreachable or that your Internet connection is intermittent perhaps?   The software constantly "calls home" to get its ratings.  Of course some sites show grey anyway if they haven't yet been assessed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/06/14 5:44:52 EDT AM
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 47

Jump to solution

If I may add to the discussion, in regards to intermittent internet connections. I had a user I have known for years, and as discussed in another thread. I had her (Disable) her Site Advisor Add-ons temporarily. In a attempt to determine if It was Site advisor causing the issue. (Internet Explorer Stopped working)

It just so happens that yesterday,Internet Explorer 11 "Stopped Working", but restored the session.

While your issues is not entirely the same, there could be "Intermittent Connection issues" inherited from Internet Explorer itself. I had her run this Microsoft "Fix it", which can be found HERE 

Since doing so, her pages are renduring much faster and has not experienced anymore issues.

She additionally Re-enabled Site Advisor Live, and so far all seems to be functioning fine. Although as I stated, this does not relate entirely to your Site Advisor issue, it wouldn,t hurt to try the "Fix it" in regards to intermittent connections.

Yet, as Ex_Brit suggested Technical Support should be able to determine.

I also might add, that I recommend that she register, and join the McAfee Communities for further assistance. To stay with-in the Guidelines of the Volunteer handbook.

Just thought I would add...

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/4/14 7:21:35 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
overit
Former Member
Message 4 of 47

Jump to solution

Thank you everyone.. but have been running Internet Explorer and have the occasional hiccup with Mcafee Siteadvisor but otherwise it is ok..

I also have Chrome installed but as i dont use it often it does not show any details that Siteadvisor is working..

I am thinking the problem may actually be with Internet Explorer as it is constantly dropping out where i get the message 'Internet Explorer has stopped working'..

I have tried to acces the Microsoft Fixit but if I try to download the one to fix my problem I get an error..

I am thinking perhaps I have some malware or a virus of some kind and it is causing the problem..

Mcafee is not picking up anything as I have run a full scan twice..

any advice as to this problem would be greatly appreciated..

Tech Support have contacted me twice in the last 2 days but as i start work at 4am I am not answering phone calls at 9.45pm to 10pm at night because I am asleep. So no help from them..

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 47

Jump to solution

Run Makwarebytes Free and perhaps AdwCleaner as well, see the last link in my signature below.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 47

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

Run Makwarebytes Free and perhaps AdwCleaner as well, see the last link in my signature below.

You're assuming that there isn't a problem in the client-side SiteAdvisor code.

I suspect there's a problem there all right : I have the SiteAdvisor-always-grey problem right now in Chrome : I see it more in Chrome than in IE or Firefox but then I use Chrome more than the other browsers.

It corrects itself after some random interval for reasons I can't fathom.

The grey SA icon does mean that SiteAdvisor isn't talking to the servers. The only question is, why not - and no-one has yet come up with a better explanation than mine, which is that the initial communications handshake never properly completes and so SA is left waiting for a response to something. Eventually something happens to reset everything, and it connects.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 47

Jump to solution

Oh I'm also pretty sure of that but the user had concern regarding possible malware. No harm in checking.

overit
Former Member
Message 8 of 47

Jump to solution

Ok Ran Malwarebytes but it found nothing..

As Tech Support have not contacted me again all I can do is try to contact them and hope they can solve the problem..

As for Internet Explorer I am waiting for a call back from Microsoft in regards to that..

Will let you all know the outcome..

thanks..

jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 9 of 47

Jump to solution

Message to overit I too have been having the same error in IE 9 so you are not alone. My problems started after the update on the 28th May. I also have a problem with the error message when McAfee finishes updating. That problem does seem unique to me unless anyone reading this has the same issue?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 47

Jump to solution

jimmymac50 wrote:

I also have a problem with the error message when McAfee finishes updating.

What error message is that?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community