cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
truechaosmaster
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Siteadvisor No longer working

Hi. I have used the siteadvisior ever since I got my computer and it is a great product. However, yesterday, when I opened google chrome it was no longer there. When I went to check the extensions, it was gone. I think maybe one of my sisters removed it. When I first tried to reinstall it, it said that the latest version was already there and could not do it. I then went to the McAfee Secuirty Suite and uninstalled it from there. I then tried re-reinstalling it and it isntalls it, but not for google chrome. I have tried installing it over and over, but it just won't work.  Please is there any way to fix this? Thank you in advance.

7 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Siteadvisor No longer working

I have the same problem, that SiteAdvisor won't install in Chrome, so I'm relieved that I'm not the only one. I removed it from Chrome and now it refuses to re-install.

I can see two possible reasons for this, both Chrome-related. The first is that I then uninstalled Chrome and re-installed it using the Alternate Installer (going by the instructions in "Install Chrome for all user accounts"). The second is that before I removed Chrome I used Synch to copy all my Chrome settings, and I suspect that Chrome is using those Synch settings. Maybe there's a flag in there that says "This extension has been removed", but if so I can't find it.

Other people with no SiteAdvisor in Chrome have got it to work by using the following fix (it doesn't work for me, but it might for you)

Problem(s)

Problem
SiteAdvisor not displaying in Google Chrome.

Cause
McAfee has investigated and discovered that one of its SiteAdvisor DLLs is either missing or not correctly registered.

Solution

Open a cmd prompt as Administrator (Vista and Windows 7 only). For Windows XP, just open a cmd prompt
type (or copy) this command into the cmd prompt (WITH the quotation marks):
for 64 bit systems ==> regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\x64\McSACorePS.dll"
for 32 bit systems ==> regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACorePS.dll"

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please open Windows Explorer and confirm this DLL exists - if it does not, then please reinstall SiteAdvisor.

truechaosmaster
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

It didn't work (either that or did it wrong), and I checked and the .dll is there. Thanks for your help though!

UGH! This is so frustrating. Why cant it just simply be added to the chrome store or have a chrome exclusive download? I know it maybe chrome's fault that it isn't installing and not Mcafee's, but there needs to be something more simple.

sabbey
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Any idea if this issue effects Firefox 15.0.1? Was having some weird issues with SiteAdvisor about a week or two ago where it kept bugging out on sites that always worked before, so i went ahead and disabled it... I just now noticed a new version that was released yesterday and installed it but now no sites even show the ratings on Yahoo or Google, pretty sure the sites themselves don't either. Call me confused!

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I was using check disk and defragmenter on windows XP and got a red "at risk "alert from site advisor which I think I must have clicked and turned it off. I'm using firefox now .  I got an error code and was not able to get updated with KB1736233  windows update to fix the urgent problem with IE so decided to stop using IE.

I can see that site advisor is installed on McAfee but can not find how to turn it back on.

I switched browsers  to Firefox 15.0.1

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 9/23/12 8:33:13 PM GMT-05:00

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 9/23/12 8:34:02 PM GMT-05:00
hopeless1
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

I found the problem for not seeing green check marks in site advisor when using Firefox.  Site advisor is a plug in and you have to enable it...mine showed it being disabled...all is ok.  Now I just have to solve why I can't get my windows update page to load completely . Maybe I need to do a more thorough check disk

knsingh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 8

HI ,

Please confirm if you can find Siteadvisor working on IE(Internet Explorer)?

What Version of Google chrome is installed on computer?

What is siteadvisor version Installed on computer?

Regards,

Kriz

kawats
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

tyr this:

1. in chrome go to Settings then go to Extensions

2. now in your computer try to find the CRX File of McAfee SiteAdvisor (in my computer the filename is McChPlg.crx) drag it and drop it in the chrome extensions.

3. close chrome then opened it again. see if it fix the problem.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community