Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dinz
Former Member
Message 11 of 23

Re: SiteAdvisor will not work.

Hi wondzell1& helenmandala ,

Are you using any other security software along with McAfee; If so ; check and delete any other security software from control panel and C:\program files and common files.
Since certain security programs detects the installation of Site Advisor as a Browser Helper Object (BHO) and can prevent it from installing 'completely'. The BHO is the primary component of the Site Advisor toolbar. As mentioned in my earlier posts there needs to be three add-ons enabled for Site advisor.

You could uninstall site advisor from control panel and reinstall it from the following website http://Siteadvisor.com ,
If it still is greyed out, click the arrow mark beside siteadvisor & click the option enable siteadvisor.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

ck2103
Former Member
Message 12 of 23

Hi, still new here but I've made an observation that might be helpful.

I'm using IE8, WinVista and McAfee Total Protection. From the

getgo I've always used Google (www.google.com) as my homepage.

McAfee siteadvisor always worked. Recently I've decided to use

MSN (www.msn.com) as my home page, installed the new

BING toolbar. Since doing this, I've noticed that McAfee site advisor

is not functioning. The site advisor is always green

but never any check marks on safe sites. I've tried site advisor with google,

yahoo both working but not with the msn homepage. Maybe Msn (Bing) has

something internally that only pulls up safe sites. Don't know, haven't

investigated that far, but would be interested in hearing what McAfee

might know about this.

TY CK

helenmandala
Former Member
Message 13 of 23

ok I did that and it is now working. However, there are still only 2 items in the add ons.

DavidF
Former Member
Message 14 of 23

This is also my problem.  I also have an hp Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition.  The SiteAdvisor icon goes gray all by itself, and it makes IExplorer 8 hang and display "(Not Responding") in the title bar.  It usually clears after about 15 seconds, but sometimes it won't, and I need to end the session and start over.  I just had McAfee's Virtual Technician give my computer a clean bill of health.  Then the online tech said that it was the latest version of the SiteAdvisor that was giving me the problem, so the tech uninstalled that version and downloaded another version, but the problem has returned (gray icon, IE8 hangs up).  If I disable the SiteAdvisor, the problem vanishes -- very dramatic, very obvious that SiteAdvisor causes the hang. Any suggestions?

Message was edited by: DavidF on 12/17/09 11:58:44 AM CST
Dinz
Former Member
Message 15 of 23

Hi,

Certain antivirus software detects the installation of SiteAdvisor as a Browser Helper Object (BHO) and can prevent it from installing completely. The BHO is the primary component of the SiteAdvisor toolbar. Without this BHO, the toolbar will not display.

Can you provide some information about the computer;

Do we have any other security software installed in the computer ?
What is the type of operating system ?

Regards,
Dinesh K

DavidF
Former Member
Message 16 of 23

The SiteAdvisor toolbar does appear.  Sometimes the browser launches with the SiteAdvisor icon as green and everything is fine until the browser hangs, and I look over and the icon is gray.  Sometimes the browser launches with the icon gray and it hangs from the beginning.

I have a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002.  It has an HP Pavilion AMD Anthlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.39 GHz 1 GB of RAM and almsot ½ TB of storage.

I have McAfee security (home system), and I think some hp security software is working a bit in the background.

SiteAdvisor is nice, but if it''s going to do this, then I'm much better off without it.

Any advice would be helpful.

wondzell1
Former Member
Message 17 of 23

My computer's operating system is Windows XP. Security software is Ad-Aware and Norton Internet Security which was recently updated from 2009 version to 2010 version.

The SiteAdvisor toolbar will not display eventhough McAfee Virtual Technican found nothing wrong. Any Suggestions?

wondzell1
Former Member
Message 18 of 23

I tried that already. Any other suggestions?

wondzell1
Former Member
Message 19 of 23

I tried that already. Any other suggestions?

rahulsingh
Contributor III
Message 20 of 23

Are you using internet explorer or firefox?

What is the version of Internet Explorer you are using.

You can find that information by clicking on help and about internet explorer when you have internet explorer open.

If you can provide that information it would really help us assist you further.    

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community