cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wondzell1
Former Member
Message 1 of 23

SiteAdvisor will not work.

The SiteAdvisor plugin is visible in the toolbar but is always gray (off) and not working on both Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers (I use Firefox). I have Windows XP Media Center edition with Norton Internet Security and Ad-Aware security programs. Windows XP has all the latest updates. The security programs are the latest versions and have all the latest updates. The SiteAdvisor is the latest version of the free version. SiteAdvisor is enabled in both Firefox and Internet Explorer (I checked to be sure). The Norton Internet Security firewall is configured to Allow  for McAfee SiteAdvisor. The file containing SiteAdvisor is not compressed (I checked ). I turned off the Norton antivirus program and Ad-Aware when I reinstalled SiteAdvisor. I had deleted SiteAdvisor before I reinstalled SiteAdvisor. After the reinstall SiteAdvisor still was not working. I ran McAfee Virtual Technician and it found SiteAdvisor was correctly installed and nothing was wrong. I have not had any error messages. I ran both security programs and they found no malware. I checked the FAQs section and I didn't find a solution that works. My computer exceeds the minium system requirements as listed on Document ID: TS100125. All of the checks I did including the running of McAfee Virtual Technician I did on both the original install and the reinstall of SiteAdvisor. I tried McAfee Technical Support Free Internet Chat which I couldn't get to work even though I sucessfully downloaded, installed and ran the correct program for it. What can I do to get  SiteAdvisor to work that I haven't tried yet?

22 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 23

Re: SiteAdvisor will not work.

Hi,

Open Internet explorer, click tools -- manage add-ons and check whether site advisor is enabled ; if not enable it .

Click view – tool bars à and check whether siteadvisor is given a check mark ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

wondzell1
Former Member
Message 3 of 23

I had already done that but I checked again and it was still enabled. Any other sugestions?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 23

Hi,

From manage add ons , disable mcafee addons  alone, close the internet explorer .

Re- open it back and re-enable all mcafee addons again & check the status.

May I know what is the version of your site advisor (click about option in security center )?

What is the operating system you use?

Regards,

Dinesh K

wondzell1
Former Member
Message 5 of 23

I tried that already but I tried it again and SiteAdvisor is still not working. SiteAdvisor is version 3.0.159. My operating system is Windows XP. Any other sugestions?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 23

Hi,

Uninstall siteadvisor alone from control panel (Click Uninstall option for security center, put a check mark only for siteadvisor).

Reinstall siteadvisor from http://siteadvisor.com .

Report back if you have any issues.

Thanks,

Dinesh K

on 12/10/09 9:39:00 AM GMT-06:00
wondzell1
Former Member
Message 7 of 23

I had tried that already but I tried again and Siteadvisor is still not working. Anything else I can try?

Mohan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 23

Hi,

When you get in to Tools -->Managed Addon there should be 3 Plugins for Site Advisor that needs to be installed and enabled. Can you check if all 3 are enabled.I would also try disabling other Add-ons / Plugins  installed currently on IE and have Site Advisor alone enabled.

Regards,

Mohan.B

McAfee Tier-2.5 Lead

wondzell1
Former Member
Message 9 of 23

In Internet Explorer Managed Addons there are only 2 plugins listed. They are Mcafee SiteAdvisor Toolbar and McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled SiteAdvisor 3 times and each time I have only the same 2 plugins listed in Internet Explorer. Any suggestions?

helenmandala
Former Member
Message 10 of 23

I am having exactly the same problem, except that I am running on Vista. I have also done all of the above.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community