Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 6

SiteAdvisor ratings not showing in Google searches on Chrome

I think this is recent. It may have started with the latest Chrome release (to 12.0.742.112), which I got yesterday. SiteAdvisor in Chrome is at version 3.31.137.7 (sic) - compare that to version 3.3.1.133 in Internet Explorer. See below for comparison between IE8 and Chrome search results.

Search results.JPG

navida.exe - Google Search.png

5 Replies
pkslopegirl
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: SiteAdvisor ratings not showing in Google searches on Chrome

I have the same problem.  It was working fine until a McAfee update.  I spoke to Tech Support yesterday and after trouble shooting for over a half hour, still no resolution.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 6

It's a strange bug, this. Sometimes I see in Chrome a small empty square where the SA rating should be, and this is next to a WOT rating for SA itself (which is how I know what the empty square is for). If I right-click on the empty square, it confirms that this is the SA rating.

And then in the next search, hey presto! no empty square appears, and no green circle for the WOT rating for SA.

So it's an intermittent bug, which makes it harder to pin down. The fault seems to be something to do with Chrome or the plugin (note the discrepancy in version numbers).

It'll probably sort itself out eventually.

epsilon
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Hi,

Use Firefox mostly so didn't notice this until today.  Exactly the same symptoms as described by Hayton.

Some extra things that happened for me:

1. If on the first search, McAfee Secure site(s) are present, the McAfee Secure symbol and the green tick are both present, for those results only.  They too seem to disappear on the second search.

2. I have seen a grey question mark symbol present when all others were missing.

3. On one occasion, all the symbols were there normally but when I repeated the same search, they all disappeared.

This bug seems a very strange intermittent one.

I should add that the version of siteadvisor I have in chrome has not yet updated so is still at 3.3.1.133.  My Chrome version is 12.0.742.112.

Regards,

e.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I got a screen capture of the intermittent display. Note the blank boxes, and the two WOT symbols. The first is for SA, the second for the site. Clicking on the blank box invokes SiteAdvisor, so that problem is with Chrome's icon cache and display. What I can't figure out is why the SA components vanish on a subsequent search.

0x80004005 - Google Search.png

- and here are shots of the SiteAdvisor version information. The first comes from clicking on the McAfee icon in the toolbar and selecting About; the second is taken from the Plugins page.

McAfee Communities- SiteAdvisor ratings not showing in....png

Plug-ins.png

Decidedly odd, and possibly something to do with the problem.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 03/07/11 19:57:37 IST
epsilon
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Ah, now isn't that interesting.

I just looked at the SiteAdvisor about.

If I look at the Chrome plugins page, I see what you show above.

As you say, decidedly odd.

Message was edited by: epsilon  Typo. on 03/07/11 15:23:42 CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community