cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkob
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

SiteAdvisor not working in Firefox 29

I'm having a similar problem, but with siteadvisor not working on firefox (I have 29.0.1) or ie11. Recently my mcafee antivirus made a program update that required a computer restart, all ok, but siteadvisor stopped working after that.

I know the issue on firefox of siteadvisor not displaying the green square where the options are, but it's not displaying anything, for example on google, no site dots, if I enter on a "dangerous" page (really it's not dangerous, but it's flagged as that) there's no red blocking message (I did not added it to trusted sites), and the test I made today on another page where it always blocks it's ads (never had problems with them on other computers for years) also failed, the message that appears on top of the screen saying it blocked possible dangerous elements did not appearand the ad banner was also showing.

Also tried on IE11, the square, in grey, and safe search appears, also don't displaying the dots, but if I enter a site and I choose from the square options to see the rating, it does it ok and redirects me to the siteadvisor page showing if the page is good or not.

I find it strange.

I'm working with window 7 with all the updates, and I don't have any other ad block program installed that can have problem with siteadvisor, which says it's version 3.6.6 updated on wednesday 28 (I'm writing it on thurday 29) and my McAfee is Internet Security. I'm waiting for a future update to solve this (like happened before when a similar issue appeared), but I want to ask too.

Any idea? Thank you.

El mensaje fue editado por: jkob on 29/05/14 8:56:48 CDT
6 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: SiteAdvisor not working in Firefox 29

I took this out of the thread where it was posted because that thread is for SiteAdvisor and Chrome. Any problems with Firefox may - perhaps - have a different cause.

jkob
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I'm a bit confused, but happy. Today windows made some updates, and surprise, site advisor works again, don't know how windows updates can affect on third party programs... misteries of computers...

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I doubt it's got anything to do with Patch Tuesday (or Wednesday, in this part of the world). More likely you got a silent SiteAdvisor update recently - if you open Security Center and click About you'll see the current versions of McAfee programs. If SA is 3.7.0.190 that's the new bug-fix version. SA updates only take properly when you reboot, and the Windows updates demand that you you do that.

jkob
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

That's the curious thing, it says 3.6.6.129 last updated on 22/5/2014, I checked that when I saw it working. I have automatic updates enabled for all, so I don't know why it's stuck at this version, I think another moderator (if not you) had it also stuck at 3.6.6. Anyways, it's working at 100% 

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 7

Hi jkob,

I have FF 30 and Site Advisor is working fine in both Google and Yahoo searches. Sadly I don't have the latest version (Guess latest update haven't scheduled for me) 3.7.0.190 instead having 3.6.6.129. Will see if it updates automatically and post back my findings..!

jkob
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Found what was happening with SA, the computer needed to be connected to internet from the very beggining to make SA work properly, I'm using a laptop which usually I connect to internet via wifi once all is loaded, but made the try and was succesful.

Today it updated to 3.7.0.190, so I'll make another try to see if the issue is still there or not (really not a major problem as it really works fine).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community