cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 11 of 20

Re: SiteAdvisor network performance issues

@Hayton, so in a nutshell, SiteAdvisor is currently having issues? Mine is showing up but it's grayed out. Is this normal at the moment? Should I be worried? Mine is version 3.7.1.125. This phenomenon happens with Chrome and IE.

I do hope I do not have to go through tricky fixes. I hope the next patch can fix this soon.

Anyway, I also noticed that www.siteadvisor.com seems down or unable to display properly. When I do a website status check at downforeveryoneorjustme.com it shows www.siteadvisor.com is down.

I guess it may be up but something caused the server to time out, resulting in a website down status reading.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 20

There has been reported Server issues Intermittently. The (Greyed Out) issue is supposedly fixed in the (3.7.1.139) Version. If I am not terribly mistaken, Selvan  mentioned this as well.

I can confirm as well that when attempting to go to www.siteadvisor.com  it is down. However, I  can view a Site report,and do not have the (Greyed Out) issue. I am using Internet Explorer 11. (3.7.1.139) Version.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 20

SiteAdvisor servers were flakey a couple of weeks back but we are assured - hand on heart, honest - that it's all been fixed and all is now hunky-dory. So it may be they're just tinkering with them, it being the weekend and presumably a bit quieter than usual.

SiteAdvisor is up and working according to this site - last downtime 4 days ago.

Siteadvisor.com - Is McAfee SiteAdvisor Down Right Now?

Of course, they ping the servers at quite long intervals so may have missed short periods of downtime.

The not-talking-to-servers problem may have been fixed in the latest SiteAdvisor release but all I can say is I'm using Chrome and the icon has now popped up in the Address Bar (after the usual delay) but is stubbornly Grey (not Green, for mcafee.com). So maybe not fixed after all. I can't run MVT to check for problems because it crashes ever since the latest McAfee updates came through. I do love Software Update Time, it's such fun.

SiteAdvisor will be updated silently, you don't get asked if you want it done. If you're not watching CPU or network graphs (which I do) you might not be aware that it's happened. I got the latest now and it's 3.7.1.139 not, as MVT was previously for some reason expecting, 3.7.190 (no idea why).

cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Ran regedit - navigated to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SiteAdvisor

Attached is a screenshot of the values contained in that folder.

Update issued today did not yet provide 3.7.1.139 (FullVersion still 3.7.1.125).

Is the version 3.7.190 entry value causing these issues with MVT and McSACore.exe?

Apparently the 3.7.1.139 update does not fix this entry.

SiteAdvisor.jpg

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 20

I think maybe this was a bug in 3.7.1.125, because I've now got 3.7.1.139 and in that registry location I see something slightly different - no mention now of "3.7.190".

SA registry entries.PNG

cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Have you run MVT since you received the update to 3.7.1.139?

As you posted previously, it was initially responsible for causing the 3.7.190 change (did for me too).

Since I'm still waiting for the 3.7.1.139 update, could you please run MVT and advise on the results?

I'm anxious to know if MVT still insists on changing that registry entry now that you have the new EXE.

If your registry entries remain as posted above, then we’re good to go.

If not, then MVT will need a fix. Thanks in advance.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 20

MVT was crashing but I uninstalled it and downloaded the latest version and it now works. So I ran it. And .... well, see for yourself.

MVT results 1.PNG

MVT results 2.PNG

BEFORE

SA registry entries.PNG

AFTER

MVT results 3.PNG

Conclusive, but I wonder why it does that?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 20

And even after running MVT and letting it "Fix" the mcsacore "error", running it a second time still shows the process as not running.

MVT results 4.PNG

cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Please check the most recent posts by Hayton and myself regarding this issue.

The MVT Team will need to be notified and come up with a fix for the problem.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 20

I passed this on to a Senior Tech and he says that all of this has nothing to do with SiteAdvisor, it's a bug/glitch/unintended feature in MVT.  So the mcsacore-not-running is a red herring, and has nothing to do with the SA network performance problems.

The changed version also has to be a bug in MVT, as we have demonstrated above.

If there are any spin-offs from or developments of this issue I think they should go in the MVT section and have their own thread.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community