Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 20

SiteAdvisor network performance issues

SiteAdvisor has been behaving erratically today, with display problems and network connection difficulties. Some of the observed misbehaviour may be down to performance bottlenecks at this end of the connection, but with network issues the cause could be anywhere in the end-to-end network connection.

First, let's start with the connection difficulties.

In Firefox (and so far only in Firefox) there is still a problem with certificate authentication, as I have noted in previous threads.

(Edit  : This screenshot is not for siteadvisor.com, but the OCSP problem has occurred on HTTPS connections to that site)

FF no SSL connection.PNG

Sometimes the certificate validation works, sometimes it doesn't. A later connection attempt in Firefox did work, sort of. Except that it didn't.

FF Connection Reset to SA.PNG

The geolocation information for the server that reset the connection says it was in Santa Clara. When I selected "Try Again" I got a different result - Texas.

SA server location (1).PNG

SA server location (2).PNG

In Chrome the SiteAdvisor page only partially loaded, giving a very strange-looking display. Various elements of the page failed to arrive because the browser request for those elements could not be met. The Chrome console window shows a succession of "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET" messages.

SA ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.PNG

That (Error 101) message is in posts and questions all over the internet, and it seems to have a score of different causes and twice as many possible ways to fix it. I've just returned from a long diversion into the realms of MTU, which looked promising until I found that the relevant setting on this machine is .. "Empty". So for now the cause remains undefined. One thing that's apparent is that it's not a simple browser-settings problem, because the imperfect page display is in IE as well.

SA page badly displayed in IE - 3.PNG

(There's something the strange display format shows that isn't visible otherwise : that grey rectangle that says "This will be the rating popup". I wonder what that means?)

The best (easiest to understand) explanation for this message is one I found here -

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error on Chrome - Chrome - Windows 7

- the server's transport detected a error condition and reset your TCP/IP connection. There lots of reasons for this but it is best to focus on the ones that are caused by your side of the connection (you can fix those).

Number 1: your network driver assembles a TCP/IP packet incorrectly (corrupts a packet) the checksum routines request the packet again, the server sends it and your network driver assembles it incorrectly (again) the checksum routine finds a error and request the packet to be sent again, the server does this over and overt until a certain counter goes off and the server gives up and resets your connection.

same thing happens if your netcard just drops a packet, it just keeps asking for the packet # over and over. server sends it over and over then gives up and resets the connection.

Ok, number one solution to this problem is to update your network drivers to a current version.

if you do this and it fails, you could be in the rare condition where the packets are being corrupted by your router or some other network device.

At least that poster did not come up with the usual suggestions ... clear cache, clear cookies, uninstall, re-install, reboot ... The Google advice pretty much sums it up.

"This webpage is not available" (Network errors 2, 101, 102, 104, 105 and 324) - Chrome Help

Or perhaps it's something really strange, like this one -

Solving Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset | Agmon Dot Com

I hope this can be fixed at the client end, otherwise this could become complex.

19 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 20

Re: SiteAdvisor network performance issues

I still say that although there may be intermittent problems, with "Handshakes: ,server Issues between Site Advisor/Firefox/Chrome. I simply do not experience all the issues with Internet Explorer 11?

Having said this, with the forthcoming of (Windows Thresh-hold/Windows 9) and the anticipated frequent updates as Both Chrome/Firefox implements, I worry that I will experience the same (Continuos Issues). As it is, I very seldom, if at all experience any problems....

Just my Two Cents....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 20

In other words, the every (6) week or less of Chrome/Firefox updating to a newer version, to (Patch) their individual vulnerabilities...Site Advisor always seems to have to play (Catch-up)

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Not sure if this is related to the above issue, but having just run an MVT scan it displayed the following error, then claimed to have "fixed" it, only to report the same error after a re-scan:

MVTScreenShot.jpg

This is really odd as McAfee states everything is functioning normally (although I'm used to SiteAdvisor not displaying icons - I've noticed a strange pattern in that it only seems to work properly after an update to a McAfee SecurityCenter build) but MVT has never repeatedly displayed error messages about it like this before - is it a glitch with the latest version of MVT, or something else?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 20

Not sure in regards to the (MVT) Diagnosis. All I can say is that Site Advisor Live has been functioning perfectly in Internet Explorer 11.

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 20

If it's a network problem then how far you are from the servers geographically may make a difference. Equally important is how many hops the network packets have to make to get from the servers to your client SiteAdvisor program. Network problems are tricky to debug because you don't know all the details of the intermediate routers.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 20

True....I am uncertain if I connect to the Dallas Fort Worth Server (Which is closer in proximity) or the Santa Clara California server? I choose to leave all the analytical observation up to you   As you are the "Guru" when it comes to such.

It does not take much to give me a "Headache"  Just saying I seldom have many issues with Site Advisor.

Although I admit it can be temperamental at times.

Keep up the Good Work....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 20

I just ran MVT to check and I get the same message about mcsacore.exe plus a registry error as a bonus. This must be a false detection, but I'll check again after restarting the system. Note the registry message - version installed 3.7.125 (confirmed) but expecting 3.7.190 for some reason.

MVT SA problems list.PNG

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 20

Hi

I have been notified that Site Advisor 3.7.1.139 is rolled out. It is supposed to fix the toolbar grayed out issue, however T3 has identified an issue with TrustedSource which I need to get a clear picture of what issue nature is. Will keep you guys informed.

Regarding MVT error - Could you please check if the process is Running constantly without any interruption / perhaps after Reboot. ProcExp will help us here in chasing the SA process. If no issues found then we might need to report this to MVT Team.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Re: Re: SiteAdvisor network performance issues

@Selvan,  still waiting for 3.7.1.139, will watch for any issues with TrustedSource.

As for MVT, I rebooted and re-ran MVT. It still shows mcsacore.exe as not running. There's no entry for that .exe in Process Explorer, but in Autoruns I see "sacore" -

sacoreSiteAdvisor(Verified) McAfeec:\program files\mcafee\siteadvisor\mcieplg.dll30/06/2014 20:20

So does "mcsacore" have any connection with "mcieplg.dll"?

No explanation anywhere of what either of these does, although I can work out "ie" and "plg".

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community