cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hippiemaster
Former Member
Message 61 of 70

Re: SiteAdvisor marking downloads as dangerous

I just uninstalled SA again and reinstalled the 3.2.0.152 version and my downloads get again a red alert (instead of yellow).

An update to 3.3 doesn't seem to appear (?)

PattyP
Contributor
Message 62 of 70

Hayton, thanks for listening and working with us! I hope everyone else's problems with SA get resolved.

PattyP

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 63 of 70

Okay, thanks everybody for all your info about versions and reinstalls and everything.

What stands out is that the problems started *before* the 3.3 SA release (which still looks like a work-in-progress), but apparently *after* Firefox went to 3.6.12 - can anybody say for sure it happened with an earlier FF version?

Whatever's behind this is likely to be a Firefox change that they haven't properly tested (or which didn't show up in their pre-release tests).

I'll have to move over to the Firefox/Mozilla site and get familiar with the whole Bugzilla thing to report this to them. I'll check their forums as well to see if there's anything I can learn. And I'm still wading through FAQs and Known Problems and Discussions About Add-Ons and .... you get the picture.

This will all be passed on to the McAfee SiteAdvisor crew on Monday. I see that Ex_Brit has tried to get their attention several times but without too much success, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I manage to do better. Wish me luck.

btw, somewhere in the FAQs I came across a mention that to see more text in those red/yellow pop-up balloons you're supposed to mess around with text size settings. I can reset text size in IE, but I don't know about FF. Anyway, I wasn't too impressed with that. If I find it again I'll note it and let you know what it says.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 64 of 70

A quick status update : I'm putting together something to send to someone inside McAfee. The timing of all of this makes it hard to pin down exactly which version changes to Firefox and/or SiteAdvisor originally caused the problem, so I need to sort out the timeline. Once we have that, I will probably have to ask for further information from anyone who's still having the download warning problem.

hippiemaster
Former Member
Message 65 of 70

Hello again. The following is the response from Mcafee siteadvisor support to my enquiry for the faulty alert messages in my previous posts on this thread. I though it may interest you:

Thank you for contacting us and we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

The  issue might have occurred due to the new update/feature which is  integrated with SiteAdvisor. This feature (Artemis) scans for all files  while downloading and thus gives a warning message while downloading.  For more information on Artemis technology please click on the link  below.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/mcafee_labs/gti_artemis.html

http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/artemis_technology/

I  have alerted SiteAdvisor's senior engineering staff about this problem  and they will investigate and issue a fix where necessary. Please let me  know if you have any other questions or concerns about SiteAdvisor in  the future.

We appreciate your patience during this process.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 66 of 70

Artemis? Artemis?!!?

Hippiemaster, thank you for that. This is the first I've heard of a possible connection.

Grrrr....

I shall have words with someone. Someone should have passed that information down the line, I feel. I'll let you know. Keep your fingers crossed.

Edit - Oh, no - wait. I think I know what the confusion is : Artemis must be in the new SiteAdvisor release, which isn't generally available yet. None of the documents for the earlier versions mentions Artemis being included, and neither of the Artemis documents you linked to mentions SiteAdvisor. So if that's the case it's back to square one, I think. I'll double-check this on Monday.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 10/12/10 17:08:57 GMT
hippiemaster
Former Member
Message 67 of 70

As I have said in one of my previous posts on this thread, I have downgraded from siteadvisor 3.3.160 to version 3.2.0.152_4 which resulted into receiving again red alerts for almost all downloads that I do through firefox instead of the yellow ones that 3.3.160 was giving me.

Today as I was downloading a .pps file from my emails I saw again a yellow alert. I immediately checked the version of SA and now it is 3.3.173, apparently since the 15th of December. It must have updated itself automatically because I have firefox set to inform me about new updates for my add-ons, before I decide if I want to install them, but it never asked me.

Now, I wonder how is it possible they come up with a new update, later than the 3.3.160 and they haven't yet fixed the issue?

mcafee3_3_173.PNG

hippiemaster
Former Member
Message 68 of 70

Hi again. As siteadvisor reached to version 3.3.176, it started giving me (fake) yellow alerts also with internet explorer (which was not the case before). It appears to me that the issue that myself and many other people, that have posted on this thread, are facing, is not going to be resolved soon. I wonder if anyone has managed to resolve it, or if everybody is getting these alerts by now.

However, I have decided to switch into another safe-browsing-tool. I believe I have really been patient and in a way faithful to SA, but it is just a bug for me when there are so many other similar software out there. I hope it will be resolved one day for the more faithful ones that are facing the same issue.

Message was edited by: hippiemaster on 2/2/11 7:31:19 PM CST
PattyP
Contributor
Message 69 of 70

Hippemaster, my problems with SA went away a while back, and now are back with a vengance. SA is going so far as to interfere with perfectly safe downloads, causing Firefox to freeze up and crash. This has really ticked me off. I don't think I'll be buying SA again. It was great when using Google's search engine, but completely sucks when it interferes with downloads from the art site I mentioned earlier. If I click to download, a brief red warning appears in the lower right corner of my screen and disappears. Then once I download any RAR or Zip file, it keeps the last bit of the file from downloading until I click on another red warning that says it may be dangerous. I have to click on "download anyway" each and every time. That is complete crap because the other McAfee software has already scanned the file in question and determined it has no viruses, etc. during the donwload.

Yes, McAfee has posted on their site a very few instances (like 4) of people getting malare of some kind in a download at the art site I use daily. There are millions of downloads from the site daily and bad files of that type are rare and are quickly removed by the staff. Still, SA warns that every Zip or RAR on the site is maybe dangerous and won't let Firefox fully dowbnload until you click on the warning each time. BUT the warning has a delay of a five to ten seconds and you are not allowed to close the tab of the item being downloaded to move to the next item to save it. One must wait for each individual item to download most of the way, then click the red warning "download anyway" before attempting to download another item. Previous I could download as many as ten items simultaneously at one time.What happens if you don't wait to click on each red box for each download one at a time, is that Firefox freezes and remains unresponsive. One must close the browser completely, restart it and recover one's session. I had to recover nmy session because SA hung up my downloads at least 30 times today.

I need to be able to deactivate SA while I am on that site: http://www.deviantart.com. and in any of it's artists galleries on the subsequent pages.

I think I am at the point that I will have to uninstall it altogether since it cannot be switched off, unlike the other McAfee products.

I am truly disgusted with McAfee as a software provider after all these months of having to deal with SA not working properly. They obviously are not listening and don't care. I have waited patiently because I always thought the company cared about its ciustomers. My opinion has deteriorated significantly. Maybe they have so many cusotmers, they think they don't have to deal with these issues.

The true issue with SA is: SA has no idea what is actually in the files it red flags, just throws a blanket stop sign in front of everything on certain sites, even though Viruscan has decided each file is okay and does not contain malicious files.

newjack
Former Member
Message 70 of 70

Hi Patty,You can disable S.A. to go to that site.If you click on the arrow next to site advisor.Then click options under general click no for show site ratings and add color code.Or in IE 8 click tools,manage add ons and disable site advisor all 3.Or For firefox click on tools,add ons,extensions and disable site advisor.Then restart firefox.I know this is a temporary fix.I was also having this problem awhile back on this thread.But since mine has been fixed.Probably because it does not update and no one can tell me why.hope that helps you for now.      newjack

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/3/11 7:41:01 PM EST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community