Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 31 of 70

Re: SiteAdvisor marking downloads as dangerous

It would expedite matters if the site owner appealed to them directly.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/68874#68874

If they haven't already done that of course.

TinyC
Former Member
Message 32 of 70

Hi Folks, first time posting here so please be kind if I get it wrong.

I recently experienced the same problem with SA poppping up a dialogue box saying a download was unsafe.

I first noticed this when checking the download of the latest release of a game I work on, http://mymusicquiz.com/pages/download/MyMusicQuizInstall.exe

Obviously I was very concerned to see this, had my code been hijacked, what was going on?

Turns out I only get this message when downloading on my main desktop machine, I've tried the same download on several other machines without getting the dialogue box. (all machines have Site Advisor Version 3.2.0.152 installed)

It now turns out I get the dialogue box on almost any .exe I try to download, also the .rar mentioned by PattyP on the deviant art site, but .jpg's are fine for me.

If SA was giving everyone the unsafe download dialogue box on my file, or on the deviant art files, there would be lot's of buzz on forums and the problem would have lots of traction with the McAfee SA folks, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case, most people with SA installed will be able to download these files just fine.

I suspect this is an interaction with another piece of software on a relatively small group of peoples machines, maybe a firefox plug in, maybe something else, I've  had the problem for a week or two and have racked my brains trying to figure out what I've installed recently that might be causing this.

Sorry for the long post, if people agree that the problem is machine specific rather than tied to any particular download file then I'll happilly post any additional info about what's installed on my machine, maybe we can figure it out, or maybe this will help the SA folks figure it out. Here's hoping. I've used SA for years, but right now uninstalling looks like my only option.

Message was edited by: TinyC on 27/09/10 17:47:29 CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 33 of 70

That's an interesting observation.   I'll ask internally to see if I can spark someone's interest in troubleshooting this.

newjack
Former Member
Message 34 of 70

I believe this is a site advisor issue.I had this problem back in July.The problem was fixed as far as i know.At least on my computer it was.I hav`nt downloaded any thing for about a week.But did`nt have a problem then.Not sure if this is same issue.I was haven problems at well known sites at the time.Filehippo,sourceforge,cnetdownload,ect.It would not let me download the same software from any of those sites.Hopefully they will quickly fix this again.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 35 of 70

I've never even seen the alert myself, but I have posted internally asking for some help here.

PattyP
Contributor
Message 36 of 70

TinyC, that is certainly an interesting possibility (Firefox add-ons being the problem). I have downloaded a few new ones in the last few months. I have tons of other software too.

PattyP
Contributor
Message 37 of 70

Ex_Brit, I made a screen cap of it for you. I hope that helps. I included the entire screen. It does not show up until a file is partially downloaded, then it pops up and one must click "download anyway" for it to continue. Sorry for the crappy picture quality. My screen capper usually takes much better pics.

Patty P

Edited to add - that is a random JPG I used to download that you see behind the warning.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/pattyp_photo/Misc%20posted%20across%20internet/McAfee-Warning.jpg

Message was edited by: PattyP on 9/27/10 7:42:54 PM CDT

Message was edited by: PattyP on 9/27/10 7:45:04 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 70

Thanks PattyP.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 39 of 70

Been seeing the same alert screen sporadically , except the one I see is yellow/orange and indicates a download is potentially dangerous. At least 2 sites (filehippo , mozilla) have given me the alert on several downloads over the last few months. As I recall , all of the alerts have been when using Firefox (latest version).

hippiemaster
Former Member
Message 40 of 70

For the last month I have been getting a red alert for almost every .zip and .exe file I download, even for things that before it was not getting. I tried to uninstall (with the proper Mcafee uninstaller) and reinstall it but the same thing happens. I get red alerts for all subtitles I download, for sites like allsubs.org, although I have never received any malware from there. All alarms until now, were false. Just today the red alerts turned into yellow!

mcafeealertjpg.jpg

Has anybody observed the same recently?

Has anybody found a solution to the problem?

I have asked Mcafee as well but didn't get a reply. Has anybody got a reply by them?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community