cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PattyP
Contributor
Message 11 of 70

Re: SiteAdvisor marking downloads as dangerous

I respectfully disagree that it is a warning that all downloads are dangerous. It is not happening on all downloads, just ones SA mistakenly thinks might be dangerous. It pops up red on completely green sites. No Mcafee product has previously ever given red warnings unless a real problem is suspected or the site has shown that it has created problems in the past. Site Advisor is grossly suspecting things it should not. That's all those of us having the problem are saying. I have repeatedly checked items I was warned about, by scanning them after download with McAfee and a host of other malware programs. Perfectly safe items. Again the real problem is that having to ignore the warnings so much potentially leads to ignoring a legitimate warning should it occur later.

The warnings should be based on probabilities (as they have been in the past) and there have been no bad downloads in the tens of thousands I have downloaded from the site I mentioned. There is simply no probabability of bad downloads there. Therefore, SA is not functioning as well as it has in the past.

The purpose of Site Advisor is to give accurate information about sites and what has already been found to be dangerous there. It is not functioning properly if it is giving so many false warnings. Those of us having the problem have a right to expect the program to function properly. I'm sure there are many other users having the same issue who have not yet found this discussion. I kept expecting McAfee to fix it, but once it had gone on too long, I started looking for answers.

Message was edited by: PattyP on 7/14/10 7:51:21 PM CDT
newjack
Former Member
Message 12 of 70

Hey Pattyp, I agree with you 100%!Although i have a lot of respect for EX-brit & his knowledge in general.Site advisor is not working as it was before.

As proof i have gone to many green sites(with no recent red downloads) & tried installing a program.I even waited a week,tried the download again

on the same 3 sites.No good.I have never had problems like this with before with site advisor.I like useing site advisor becuase i am very carefull what sites i visit.Especially 1 i am going to download from.I also agree with the red pop up problem.Now i have to hope that a site that previously has been marked green for years with no major problems is giving me a red pop up??I also agree that this problem may be only effecting some of the people useing site advisor.I too am still looking for an answer that makes sense on this matter.    Thanks,any help appreciated

Jack

PattyP
Contributor
Message 13 of 70

I'd like to make it clear I have no intention of disrespecting Ex Brit's opinions.

I do believe one's view of the problem is different if one is actually having the problem oneself.

I am not happy to hear you are having problems with SA, but glad to hear others are seeing that it is a malfunction, not business as usual.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 70

Thanks PattyP and newjack.  Actually you are all making good points.  I'm still waiting for Sam or even the SA team themselves to come back with something concrete.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/07/10 7:05:37 EDT PM
newjack
Former Member
Message 15 of 70

Thanks Ex-brit,

I appreciate the help.I rely on site advisor & other info when downloading & surfing.I do agree with some of your theory that "you know that it is working" but for patty and myself i believe it`s working when it should not be.Since i  believe there really is no such thing as an iron clad safe site anymore.I find this useful.Plus it fends off my slight amount of paranioa.LOL               Thanks Jack

newjack
Former Member
Message 16 of 70

Pattyp, If you click on view site report on site advisor.Does it take a long time for S.A to bring up the results?? Just curious.

Thanks Jack

Message was edited by: newjack on 7/16/10 6:22:48 PM EDT
Formula
Former Member
Message 17 of 70

In the last couple weeks both myself and my brother have been experiencing an increase in these messages on downloads from trusted sources.

As previously stated, these messages are just warnings of potentially unwanted downloads, however it has become too common in these last weeks.

I've always liked using McAfee SiteAdvisor, but with the increase I've seen recently, there are just too many false positives to ignore - so I'm hoping the McAfee team does come back with a concrete response to the issue.

Specifically, we have had issues with both trusted software (Software we've been using for years on other computers) and video files (MP4 & MKV specifically, from trusted websites - although we haven't tried other formats).

I'm an avid internet browser and I have a good sense of when a file is trustworthy or not, but a large part of my fear is that these warnings are deterring other users from safe content under the false impression that it's unsafe.

Again I would like to re-iterate that this problem has primarily became an issue within the previous few weeks.

PattyP
Contributor
Message 18 of 70

newJack,

Unlike using SA with a search engine like Google, there is no link in this warning box to view any further information, such as the site eval info. One has two choices only: "block download", or "download anyway".

Message was edited by: PattyP on 7/17/10 4:31:46 AM CDT

Message was edited by: PattyP on 7/17/10 4:32:10 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 70

I've added this to our list for the agenda on Monday afternoon's conference call that we have with McAfee management.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 70

Thread moved to SiteAdvsior.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community