download your SA againsave the installer and close all browsers
install the SA now.
close all windows
see if its ok now on IE and FF
YoKenny
Former Member
Message 12 of 25

RE: Firefox bookmarks

I'm sure glad I don't have that problem with IE7 nor IE8 beta2 with IE7Pro.
cel01
Former Member
Message 13 of 25

RE: Site Advisor Firefox add-on disappears

It appears all is well now. Thanks

Take Care
Celeste
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 14 of 25

I still think it the problem is SA

I don't think it is the FF 3.0.1 bookmarks which cause the problem, 3.0.1 has a very powerful URL bar, the information for which is contained in the bookmarks file.

The problem to my mind is SiteAdvisor.

Why should installing SA from IE put an item in the FF Add-ons - especially as this can cause a problem for FF and needs disabling to avoid this?

and

Why should the installation of SA from FF need reinstalling after every reboot (because it disappears)?

If these points could be fixed there does not seem to be any reason why one could not continue to use FF 'as is'.

There does though seem to be a problem handling Flash which investigating this problem has thrown up - but I doubt if Google bookmarks would solve that - but that is something to investigate elsewhere.

Derek Shaw.
mctavish
Former Member
Message 15 of 25

RE: I still think it the problem is SA

Derek,

I agree that SiteAdvisor, and not Firefox bookmarks, is the problem. Using Google bookmarks would be only a workaround, and probably not a satisfactory one for many people.

You have stated well the problems with SiteAdvisor. It is McAfee who needs to fix this. I don't know how you get their attention.
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Perhaps patience will do the trick

Perhaps with some patience there will be a solution to this from McAfee, as as happened with their products on previous occasions. One I recall was with toolbars in Thunderbird which was eventually sorted out with the automatic updates and another also involved SiteAdvisor which was sorted out when I carried out a manual reinstall - and now there's another one, so perhaps with repeated reinstalling in FF there will eventually be a version which sticks.

Derek Shaw
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 17 of 25

S

In extra support for this:-

I found a procedure posted in the thread (also regarding the need to reinstall the FF add on after every reboot) started by cel01 in this SiteAdvisor section of the forum.

This involved uninstalling SA (i.e. this is the one which IE installs) and then reinstalling the add-ons again, first from FF and from IE. The result of my doing this was to get me back to the same situation again - that is to say it did not cure the problem for my system.

However, on the way I found that if SA is uninstalled so that it is not available in IE then in FF there is no unwanted item, only the (26.6) add-on installed using FF. This now works without any problems, it is still there after a reboot and bookmarks/history still remain after using the BBC iPlayer (Adobe Flash) when FF is closed and reopened.

So this means I have two choices:-
1. Uninstall (or don't install) SA for IE and have SA working properly in FF, but of course not then available in IE.
or
2. Have SA in IE but make sure the item that this installs in FF is disabled and reinstall SA from FF after every reboot.

This I consider to be evidence that the installation of SA from IE is unsatisfactory and that it is causing problems with the FF add-on.

Derek Shaw.

I had intended to call this post 'SA for IE could need some attention from McAfee' - but I pressed the wrong button so it finished up just as 'S'.
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 18 of 25

This did not work for me

This procedure did not work for me but I discovered that with SA (i.e. the one for IE uninstalled) the FF SiteAdvisor add-on worked properly. However, this of course means that in this state SA is not available in IE.

Derek Shaw
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 25

RE: Site Advisor Firefox add-on disappears

Two threads on same subject merged.
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 20 of 25

More about SA in IE

Some further comments:-

I have had a look on my wife's computer which although a little older is set up almost identically to mine. There I found SA in both IE7 and FF 3.0.1. However in FF there was only one SA entry (26.6) in the Add-ons list and this does not need to be reinstalled with every reboot (i.e. it sticks).

IE7 also has SA but from the 'About' the version is 2.6.0.6261. This would seem to be an older version than mine (2.8.292) but it has no effect on the SA in FF.

We both prefer to use FF to IE whenever possible (there are still a few occasions when it is necessary to use IE). However, my daughter uses my computer quite a bit and for some reason prefers IE. Hence I have probably (unfortunately?) kept mine a bit more up-to-date for IE than my wife's.

This would support my previous opinion that the present version of SA for IE is unsatisfactory.

Derek Shaw.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community