cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mctavish
Former Member
Message 1 of 25

SiteAdvisor disappears

I am using the free version of McAfee SiteAdvisor with the latest version of Firefox. Recently, SiteAdvisor has been disappearing whenever I reboot my computer. It is not on the browser status bar and it is not in the Firefox Extensions list. It reinstalls OK, but disappears again when I reboot.

Any help would be appreciated.
24 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 25

RE: SiteAdvisor disappears

What is the operating system of the machine?
the RAM?
any other security application installed (need not be enabled..esp spbot kind of things)
the browser and IE version

are you able to do a full manual windows update?
mctavish
Former Member
Message 3 of 25

Computer: Dell Dimension 8300

RAM: 1.5 GB

Other security applications: McAfee SecurityCenter (A freebie that comes with my Comcast ISP subscription. It doesn't include SiteAdvisor, which I have to download separately.)
Threat Fire
WOT Firefox Add-ON (I uninstalled WOT, closed Firefox, then reinstalled SiteAdvisor, but SiteAdvisor went bye bye again when I rebooted.)
All of the security programs are updated regularly as are the other major applications on my computer.

Browser: Firefox 3.0.1
IE version 7.0.5730.11 (And no problem with SiteAdvisor on this browser.)

Able to do a full Microsoft Update without problem.

I am running the same security software and browsers on a Dell 8400 (XP Home with 2 GB of RAM) and haven't had any problem with SiteAdvisor and Firefox on that computer.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 25

mctavish
Former Member
Message 5 of 25

Thanks, vinod_r2. Neither fix helped though. When I tried to run the second fix, I got an error message that it wasn't compatible with IE7.

I did find a solution, though. I noticed that when I downloaded SiteAdvisor for Firefox, I got version 26.6. On my other computer, the one on which SiteAdvisor was working properly in Firefox, the version was 2.8.277. After Googling this information, I uninstalled SiteAdvisor from Firefox on the malfunctioning computer, and then downloaded and reinstalled SiteAdvisor for IE. This latter action automatically installed version 2.8.277 in Firefox. And it is staying put, even after a reboot.

So the problem is likely at the McAfee SiteAdvisor for Firefox download site. It seems not to be downloading the latest version of SiteAdvisor.
cel01
Former Member
Message 6 of 25

Site Advisor Firefox add-on disappears

I read the other thread about SA disappearing in Firefox. http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=223867

I am experiencing the same problem but wasn't sure that the info supplied in that thread was something I should try also.

Installed SA and it works but when I reboot it is gone. I tried the one idea of updating my SA in my Internet Explorer 6 and SA came back but rebooting it is gone again in Firefox.

XP PRO SP3 current patches as of today 9/22/08
Site Advisor 26.6 (In add/remove programs says version 2.8.277)
Firefox 2.0.0.16 Extensions: NoScript 1.8.1.3, AdblockPlus 0.7.5.5, DOM inspector 1.8.1.16, Googletoolbar 3.1.20080730W
Zone Alarm FW Free 5.5.094
Firetrust Benign
AVG Free 8.0.169
Winpatrol 15.9.2008.1
BoClean
I also use Spywareblaster, Spybot Search and Destroy w/o teatimer, Malwarebytes all free versions and used on call none running resident except Spybot I use immunize.

I really like SA and find invaluable and miss it dearly. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Take Care
Celeste
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 25

RE: Site Advisor Firefox add-on disappears

With so many security applications I am not surprised that its not sticking in.:D.....

trying removing the immunize feature of Spybot and see if it helps...:)
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 8 of 25

2.8 from IE is not the answer for me

I too am having problems with SiteAdvisor in Firefox 3.0.1.

OS is XP Professional SP2 (SP3 failed to install and I had to roll back to SP3 but this is otherwise fully up-to-date). IE7 and Firefox 3.0.1 (FF)
SiteAdvisor (SA) installed twice: one using IE once using FF
It is with FF that there are problems.

In the FF Add-ons two McAfee SiteAdvisor add-ons are listed:-
and 26.6, this is the one installed via FF from the McAfee site as an add-on for FF. However from the 'About' on the SA toolbar this is given as version 2.8, build 6275.

In IE the 'About' for SA gives it as 2.8.292

The 2.8 version has caused me problems in FF 3.0.1 if it is enabled. After using iPlayer (I think it is actually related to Adobe flash) I 'lose' my bookmarks and history if I close and then reopen FF. These can only be recovered by rebooting - but this loses 26.6 which does not suffer from this problem so this has to be reinstalled again.

The 2.8 version is only present in FF when SA for IE is installed and can only be removed by uninstalling SA. Reinstalling SA from IE puts it back in FF but I have to disable it there because of the adverse effect on the behaviour of bookmarks. It really ought not to appear in FF by installing from IE and the version of SA installed from FF ought to stick.

Is there any solution to avoid having to reinstall SA in FF after every reboot?

Derek Shaw.
mctavish
Former Member
Message 9 of 25

Firefox bookmarks

Derek, this may not be helpful, but I (as have many others) have stopped using Firefox bookmarks in favor of Google bookmarks. The change takes some getting used to but it works.
cel01
Former Member
Message 10 of 25

RE: Site Advisor Firefox add-on disappears

No difference. Note SA works fine in IE. All I can think of is I just recently updated my OS to SP3.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Celeste
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community