cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LaMujer
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

SiteAdvisor disappears with Firefox 3.0

I've used the free SA on both IE and Firefox on my Windows XP SP2 machine, but I'm having a problem now that I've upgraded to FF 3.0. I can install the Firefox plugin and it works perfectly—until I close and reopen Firefox, then it's gone. It's no longer available from any search engine and it is not shown in the list of Add-ins. I can download and re-install (which requires a restart of FF before SA is functional), and it works fine again until the next time I close FF. SiteAdvisor continues to function as always for me in IE 7. I do not use any other McAfee program.

I really miss SA and hope there is a solution to this! Thank you for any suggestions.
9 Replies
esman01
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Having same problem

I am having the same problem. Using Firefox v 3.0.1 w/ SA 26.6 add-on. I keep re-installing but it keeps getting uninstalled. IE 7 stays installed.

Update - I just installed SA for IE - SA v 2.8 and it seems to have fixed this problem. Now SA is on it's own line, just under the Google Toolbar. I would like to move it to same line as the Google Toolbar. I am guessing that others have reported that issue, otherwise I will start a new thread. SA for Firefox plug-in needs to be updated.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

RE: Having same problem

LaMujer,

Uninstall SiteAdvisor via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs and then run the MCPR Removal Tool linked in my signature.

After a reboot re-download your SiteAdvisor from http://www.siteadvisor.com or your McAfee account, whichever applies.

esman01

The Firefox issue with the new SA 2.8 is a known issue and they are looking into it. Keep your eyes on the sticky at the top of this section and other threads for updates/news.

Both of you can contact the SiteAdvisor team directly using the online feedback form here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html
Drew99GT
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

This is the exact same issue I have.

You guys realize that FF 3 has site scanning and won't let you visit a known malicious, phishing, or fraudulent site. That coupled with linkscanner lite is another viable option to siteadvisor.
LaMujer
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Drew, like you I found the disappearing problem vanished with the latest SA version, but I'm among all those who heartily dislike the use of a separate toolbar. During my interval of inability to use SA, I found and installed the Firefox extension, WOT. It's much like SA, and it very adequately met my needs.

In the period when I couldn't keep SA I was also unable to use Control Panel to uninstall it, as it was not listed. The new version now shows it listed (but it can't be uninstalled direct from FF, as other extensions can!). I will convey my feelings to the SA team in hopes that one more voice will help!
esman01
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Thanks

Peter:
Thanks for your quick reply. I'll wait and see. Hopefully these issues will be addressed soon. Thanks again.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

RE: Thanks

In the period when I couldn't keep SA I was also unable to use Control Panel to uninstall it, as it was not listed. The new version now shows it listed (but it can't be uninstalled direct from FF, as other extensions can!). I will convey my feelings to the SA team in hopes that one more voice will help!

It could have been listed as either McAfee Security Center or just plain old Siteadvisor...anyway, that's moot now.

Uninstalling Firefox extensions from within Firefox only uninstalls them from Firefox, not from Windows.

Anyway, good luck guys.
esman01
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Posted too soon - SA uninstalled itself again

Posted too soon - SA uninstalled itself again. I also fully agree with patflgn post at this link :
http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=222622 .

Why is it that when companies like McAfee, Symantec and Microsoft buy other companies (Norton, Site Advisor, Giant AntiSpyware) they **** them up ? Thankfully Grisoft has not messed up Ewido's anti-spyware program!

I have been using SA since before McAfee bought it. I install it on many customers' computers. I will need to re-evaluate doing that. A few months back, an update prevented SA search engine results from being displayed, now SA uninstalls itself upon reboot. Can McAfee please test these products better? (And they wonder why they lose customers!)

Peter - thank you for volunteering to help on this board. Please refer your contacts at McAfee to these posts. Hopefully they will fix these issues soon.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

RE: Posted too soon - SA uninstalled itself again

They are only too painfully aware of their shortcomings I assure you. We've let them have an earful already.

When Pat reported 2.9 just arrived I was hoping that it was a fix for the 2.8 issues but she hasn't posted back to say what happened.

Meanwhile I haven't even got 2.8 yet so I'm only going on what I read here.

Keep filling in feedback forms!!!
lazydogmot
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Everything they said and....

Hello
Ex_Britt wrote "Uninstalling Firefox extensions from within Firefox only uninstalls them from Firefox, not from Windows"
That's odd because when I installed SiteAdvisor in IE7, it installed in Firefox 3.0.1 at the same time. I opened Firefox and the Add-ons window was open saying an add-on had been installed. Not the usual "Firefox has found new add-ons", or words to that effect.
If you want v2.8, try installing SiteAdvisor for Internet Explorer. It will show up on Firefox if you use it too. I checked just yesterday (8-2) and v26.6 was the version for Firefox. Then I saw the version for IE and said "Good" and downloaded and installed it. That's when I opened Firefox. See above.
Tom
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community