Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matlai17
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

SiteAdvisor compact view causes Firefox to crash on startup

Jump to solution

Hi all,

When I start up Firefox 4 it crashes immediately. It was fine before I switched SiteAdvisor to compact mode and it doesn't crash when I disable SiteAdvisor but now I have no way of reseting it back to standard viewing mode because the settings is on the extension itself (i.e. on the down arrow on the SiteAdvisor icon) and not in the extensions settings page. Is there any way to fix this or maybe a fix coming along soon so compact mode works with Firefox 4?

I have SiteAdvisor version 3.3.1 integrated with McAfee Total Protection and Firefox 4.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matlai17
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Re: SiteAdvisor compact view causes Firefox to crash on startup

Jump to solution

I figured out that it was another add-on that, together with SiteAdvisor, caused the crash. Though I have no idea what it is about CoolPreviews that is incompatible with the compact view of SiteAdvisor. There is no crash when they are both enabled and SiteAdvisor is in standard view.

Compact view looks ugly in Firefox 4 anyway as SiteAdvisor is just overlayed on the top bar next to the window buttons where Firefox 4 tabs are so they try to occupy the same space.

So my question now is this, is there any way to move the SiteAdvisor icon to another location in the Firefox window? In toolbar mode it sits in the add-on bar that I usually keep closed but when I go to a new site the add-on bar pops open to show me the site's ratings, something I would rather it do only on a bad website.

And thanks to everyone who posted!

Message was edited by: matlai17 on 3/26/11 12:57:59 PM CDT

View solution in original post

10 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Not sure if it is site advisor or firefox.or something that is not working properly with each other.I have firefox 4 and site advisor 3.3.1.129 and it works ok.There are other threads with people that had a problem using the back button when opening another tab.When you say you switched to compact mode.What do you mean by this?Maybe I can help you figure it out.There are other threads here also.But no solution.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/181737#181737

Message was edited by: newjack on 3/25/11 9:46:17 PM EDT
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

What is the operating system installed on your computer?

Did you try to open Firefox is safe mode (Not Windows Safemode)?

matlai17
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

I had to use safe mode to disable the extension. Otherwise I couldn't even open Firefox to disable it as it was crashing immediately. But in safe mode the SiteAdvisor icon isn't present so I can't change the settings of SiteAdvisor.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Compact mode is a feature that comes with SiteAdvisor Live that allows SiteAdvisor to be displayed in a more compact format as opposed to a toolbar format.

Here is a picture of it:

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/108515.aspx?image=155951

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Go to Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> Select McAfee product installed on your computer >> Click on Uninstall button >> check Site Advisor and remove Site Advisor only.

Restart the computer and try to open Firefox.

If issue fixed, please try to re-install Site Advisor from www.siteadvisor.com .

matlai17
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

I have already reinstalled SiteAdvisor but Firefox still crashes immediately after opening if the extension is not disabled. The settings are probably saved somewhere on the computer in some data folder. Would you happen to know where that is?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

The latest Firefox 3.3.1.129 causes a few issues with Firefox 4 and IE9 which have been reported.  No doubt an updated version of SiteAdvisor will result but when that will be I don't know, hopefully soon.  Crashing was not one of the symptoms however so perhaps you should report that to Technical Support Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page, or wait until an updated version is released.

Meanwhile I'm using WOT http://www.mywot.com/ which works OK alongside SiteAdvisor in any case.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/03/11 8:36:00 EDT AM
matlai17
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

I figured out that it was another add-on that, together with SiteAdvisor, caused the crash. Though I have no idea what it is about CoolPreviews that is incompatible with the compact view of SiteAdvisor. There is no crash when they are both enabled and SiteAdvisor is in standard view.

Compact view looks ugly in Firefox 4 anyway as SiteAdvisor is just overlayed on the top bar next to the window buttons where Firefox 4 tabs are so they try to occupy the same space.

So my question now is this, is there any way to move the SiteAdvisor icon to another location in the Firefox window? In toolbar mode it sits in the add-on bar that I usually keep closed but when I go to a new site the add-on bar pops open to show me the site's ratings, something I would rather it do only on a bad website.

And thanks to everyone who posted!

Message was edited by: matlai17 on 3/26/11 12:57:59 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Unfortunately due to the way Firefox works, it isn't possible to drag and drop toolbars the way one can in Internet Explorer.   Pity because that would solve a lot of problems.

matlai17
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Ah, thats too bad. Oh well, such is life.

Thanks for your replies.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community