Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IJK_Principle
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

SiteAdvisor.com inaccessible

Good day,

I have been having some troubles with the siteadvisor.com website lately.
While there is no problem accessing it in Internet Explorer 7 I cannot view it inside Mozilla Firefox browser.
Either it says "Sorry, we're having technical difficulties right now. Please try your request again later." when trying to access the front page (while at the exact same moment the front-page is reachable in IE7) or when trying to find out more information about a particular site, lets say for example http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/google.com

it gives me this error:

Mod_python error: "PythonHandler index"

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/sa/dossier/python/current/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 299, in HandlerDispatch
result = object(req)

File "/sa/dossier/dynamic/index.py", line 547, in handler
Strings = Languages.getStringModule(req)

File "/sa/dossier/dynamic/Languages.py", line 62, in getStringModule
stringsmod = __import__( "STRINGS_%s"%lang)

File "/sa/dossier/dynamic/STRINGS_cs.py", line 1637

static_userfeedback_html_meta_content_text_html_charset_utf_8 = 'text/html; charset=utf-8's

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Similar to the one reported earlier in this forum.

Since I can't really contact the support (because this site is not a product and McAfee Virtual Technician cannot detect anything in my PC and thus let me contact the support) I would like to ask here whether anyone knows what could be the cause of that particular error.

I also tried clearing cache, deleting cookies, running the browser in safe mode or disabling some extensions without much help.

Also it doesn't seem to give me a similar error on any other site, thus it must be something to do with Firefox - siteadvisor.com combination.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you.
6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

RE: SiteAdvisor.com inaccessible

No problems here with Firefox 2.0.0.11 or IE 7.

If you get the above error or any similar one when trying to use SiteAdvisor or when visiting a web page...

Go to your Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and remove McAfee SiteAdvisor.
If it isn't listed then it may be included in the McAfee Security Center item. Click that and choose to uninstall the SiteAdvisor component only when presented with the list of components.

Go to either your account or http://www.siteadvisor.com and download a fresh version.

Also see How can I Uninstall SiteAdvisor?

Contacting SiteAdvisor:

Apparently the SiteAdvisor team is being reorganized, not to mention a new contract is being (or has been already) negotiated and the last we heard was for everyone to use the feedback form HERE.
Failing that I suggest contacting Customer Service (top of page) and asking them how to contact the SA team directly, or use the Technical Support Chat.

Disable all pop-up blockers for Chat to work.

There is also the Sitadvisor Blog HERE.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

IJK_Principle
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the tips.

Uninstalled the extension in Firefox and scanned my system for spyware - nothing helped.
Contacted McAfee using the http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html form.
Currently waiting for a reply.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Normally they are pretty fast answering but with Christmas & New Year it's anyone's guess.
greg_bigelow
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Please retry and let us know if any problem remains -- this may have been a configuration problem on the siteadvisor.com side.

Greg
IJK_Principle
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

At last, now it works flawlessly! I was getting suspicious it had something to with the site itself and not my configuration since I just recently deleted Firefox and did a clean reinstall of it which didn't help.

But it's still interesting to know what exactly was the problem in the web site's code that didn't allow me in particular trying to access the website using Firefox. (while IE7 wasn't giving me any trouble)

Anyway it's great to access the web site once again after several weeks. Thanks.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community