cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mydlmail
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

SiteAdvisor causing Firefox to act funny

Is anyone else having this problem: whenever you open up a new window or tab and click a link, you are unable to go back to the original page? For example, everytime I use the google search in firefox and click a link, I can't go back because firefox doesn't remember the original page, the google seach. If you click other links, there's no problem. There only seems to be a problem in remembering the original page.

This is annoying when you are researching something online and as a result, caused me to disable siteadvisor. I found that disabling SiteAdvisor makes the problem go away. However, is there a way to make the problem go away with SiteAdvisor enabled? Because that would be really, really awesome - I depend on firefox and SiteAdvisor alot.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I have the latest version of firefox.

31 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 32

Re: SiteAdvisor causing Firefox to act funny

I think it is an intermittent Firefox issue . EX_brit 1 of the mods here just emailed some of the other mods re this a day ago and he said

Now I notice if I'm on any page on any website and click a link to open another one, there is no back arrow to return to the original page.

I looked up the no back button issue and it's been an intermittent failure of Firefox for several years apparently.

This is what is mentioned on the FF forum

Ie8 works I assume

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 20/03/11 6:39:28 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 32

Yes I found this issue and another one whereby if one has several tabs open the reload button on the first one doesn't work usually.

It's a Firefox issue and should be reported to them.

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 32

Yes Peter is right it seems to be a firefox issue.That feature is working on my version of firefox 3.6.15.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 32

I've posted on their forums hoping someone will read it and act.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 32

Update: they tried to blame SiteAdvisor and told me to test that theory by loading SiteAdvisor in Safe Mode (using the default theme does that) and it still happens here, so either the forums host (Jive SBS) is at fault with their coding or Firefox doesn't like something to do with this particular website.

newjack
Former Member
Message 7 of 32

Well as the OP states.When you open a new tab in firefox you cant go back.I just tried this and It does not work on my version either.I normally work off the original window,which does go back though.Seems to be firefox.They are working on a 4.0 now.....

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 32

Yes, I think we just have to live with it until the next update...hopefully.

mydlmail
Contributor
Message 9 of 32

I only figured that this was a SiteAdivisor issue because whenever I disable it, the problem goes away. But all of you are saying it's a Firefox issue so I guess I'll leave it at that and hope for quick release of Firefox 4.

And yes, the problem does not appear on IE. And not on Chrome either. But I prefer Firefox over them both so will stick with Firefox and disable SiteAdvisor for the time being.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 32

I think it's a bit of both.  Hopefully it will sort itself out pretty quickly, it usually does.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community