Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulhunter22
Former Member
Message 1 of 101

SiteAdvisor and Firefox 5

Hi,

I've just noticed a couple of recent references about non-compatibility with latest Firefox.  Can anyone please explain what this latest cock-up is all about concerning Firefox??  This saga seems to be never-ending!

Firefox User (and p - - - - d off McAfee user)

Message was edited by: paulhunter22 on 8/3/11 5:00:09 PM CDT
100 Replies
dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 2 of 101

Re: File property issues cause by mcafee?

SiteAdvisor is not fully compatible with FF 5.0. Some of the markups will not appear in search results.

SiteAdvisor 3.4, which is in Beta is compatible.

Thanks,

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 101

It's not a cock-up it's an arranged disablement, see the announcement here: https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/web_email/siteadvisor

Mozilla caused many add-ons to suddenly lose compatibility with their latest updates, including Norton's equivalent to SiteAdvisor and Google Toolbar just to mention a couple.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/08/11 6:27:22 EDT PM
brandonspopo
Former Member
Message 4 of 101

Well, there are so many people using Firefox that McAfee should be ready for such events. You can't tell us that there aren't enough talented programmers employed by McAfee to keep up with them and to collaborate with them. Most of the add-on programmers for Firefox get their programs compatible relatively quickly. Version 6 is coming out soon, ya know.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 101

If you read the announcement at the top of the SiteAdvisor section you'll see that the thing is being totally redesigned aso that future updates wont effect it.  That can't be done overnight and couldn't be done until the browser was final as beta versions are constantly being changed.  As I said, Norton's Safe Web toolbar was similarly effective and now I read that Google aren't even going to try to keep up with their toolbar, so there wont be one, ever.

soljkom
Former Member
Message 6 of 101

Ex_Brit , i see you saying all over the place that Norton Safe Web toolbar has or had this problem also , i want to let you know that Norton Safe Web was not compatible with Firefox 5 for 2 days , yes 2 DAYS since it was released , not like McAfee's Site Advisor, so please giving Norton's Toolbar as a example , its clearley not the case, Symantec moves much faster then McAfee at solving problems , much much faster and this is a fact.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 101

I suppose they could have fixed SA for FF5 in a few days but as FF appears to be intending keep these updates frequent they decided to rewrite SA so the FF updates in the future have no effect. That was what we were told at least.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 101

soljkom wrote:

Ex_Brit , i see you saying all over the place that Norton Safe Web toolbar has or had this problem also , i want to let you know that Norton Safe Web was not compatible with Firefox 5 for 2 days , yes 2 DAYS since it was released , not like McAfee's Site Advisor, so please giving Norton's Toolbar as a example , its clearley not the case, Symantec moves much faster then McAfee at solving problems , much much faster and this is a fact.

I don't know where you got that from because it would mean that Norton mods don't know what they are talking about here as late as yesterday:  http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Safe-web-lite-toolbar/td-p/501...

Plus I tried it and got this in FF5 add-ons (click to enlarge):

Capture.JPG

However, if they had fixed it sooner, good for them, perhaps they don't test as much.  They are two different entities so anything is possible.

Safe Web Lite is their equivalent of the free SiteAdvisor toolbar which is the most widely used version.   I can't vouch for any paid version as I don't have/want a Norton subscription but the two usually have the same compatibility parameters.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/08/11 7:41:52 EDT AM
soljkom
Former Member
Message 9 of 101

I don't know about Safe Web LITE , the Safe Web provided with Internet Security and higher packages works with no problems since the second day that FF5 was released.

You say the Safe Web LITE is equivalent to the free Site Advisor, well does the Site Advisor LIVE work with FF5 then ?

Here is the Toolbar working nice and smooth with no problems since the second day of FF5's release

ff5.png

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 101

Well good for them. It's your choice to use their products if you wish.  Siteadvisor Live isn't yet compatible.  Maybe McAfee test things more thoroughly.   Shouldn't be long now.

I merely mentioned Norton (and Google) to illustrate that we weren't the only ones.  There were other incompatible add-ons too but I don't have the entire list handy.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community