Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 11 of 40

RE: SiteAdvisor and Firefox 3 RC1

Dear LesD,

We received your message reporting incompatibilty between FF 3 RC1 and SiteAdvisor. You've also reported that no annotations (= site advisor ratings) are visible on any search engine results page and the toolbar appears gray. Thank you for contacting us.

As emacee1701 pointed out, the SiteAdvisor plugin was working fine with Beta versions of FireFox namely FF 3b3, FF 3b4 and FF 3b5. However, with FireFox 3 RC1, there is a compatibility issue. The annotations are loaded but are not visible on the screen. If you hover the mouse over the region where the annotations appear, a hyperlink would be present pointing to siteadvisor.com site details page. We're working on the issue and will be providing an update with the patch for the same as soon as possible.

We'll keep everyone posted. Thank you for being a McAfee customer.

Sincerely,
Praveen Rajaretnam
Associate Software QA Engineer
McAfee SiteAdvisor Consumer QA
Philbee
Contributor
Message 12 of 40

i'm looking forward to the patch. i also have had the same problems that have been described with firefox 3rc1 and site advisor. i do not want to switch from site advisor to another similar tool, since site advisor has worked well for me for years.

i eagerly await the patch. how can we be notified when it is ready?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 40

Praveen, another ?....why is version 26.5 installing instead of 26.6?
I have another case here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220933
ashketchum
Former Member
Message 14 of 40

This happens due to the reason mentioned in this page. --> http://adblockplus.org/blog/web-pages-accessing-chrome-is-forbidden . I found it after a bit of searching on google.

Anyway you can fix the problem by editing the siteadvisor extension a bit. All you need to do is add the line content safe jar:chrome/safe.jar!/content/ contentaccessible=yes after content safe jar:chrome/safe.jar!/content/ in the chrome.manifest file. To access this file you need to download the siteadvisor extension and extract the contents of the safe.xpi file using winzip or something similar. Then open the chrome.manifest file using notepad and add that line to it as mentioned above. Then you need to zip up the folder containing the files that you extracted and then rename the zip file to a xpi file. Then drag and drop that file into firefox to install the modified extension. 🙂

Here's the modified version of the extension in case you don't want to do the above yourself. It also contains another modification so that the status bar doesn't get thicker after you install SiteAdvisor.
Philbee
Contributor
Message 15 of 40

i appreciate the info, but i am wondering if the Site Advisor software engineers can come up with a patch that will fix this issue once and for all. i didn't try the firefox 3 betas, so i don't know how it worked with them. firefox 3.0 final is right around the corner, so i am hoping that a patch or updated Site Advisor version is in the works that will work with Firefox 3.0 final.

any time frame as to when a site advisor update will be ready?

i am unable to find "safe.xpi" anywhere on my hard drive. hoping that i would be able to download the file without having to re-install it on firefox 3, i tried downloading it with IE7, and was unable to. i would be more than happy to try your tip, if i could obtain a copy of "safe.xpi".

so i'll keep my eyes on this forum, and hope that the site advisor technicians can work on the problem, or i can get a copy of the xpi file in question.
ashketchum
Former Member
Message 16 of 40

Here is the modified version of the safe.xpi file. http://www.mediafire.com/?uuxs4yxs1t2

Also if you want to download the official safe.xpi file to your hard drive, use a download manager. The URL is http://download.mcafee.com/products/sa/firefox/safe.xpi . I used Internet Download Manager to download it...
Philbee
Contributor
Message 17 of 40

thank you. where exactly do i drag and drop the file to now?
ashketchum
Former Member
Message 18 of 40

You can right click on the file and "open with" firefox. Or you can drag and drop it inside an open firefox window.
Philbee
Contributor
Message 19 of 40

that's exactly what i did. it solved the problem i'm glad to say. this is a good temporary solution until the Site Advisor engineers come out with a new version. hopefully they will soon.

thanks for your help! 🙂

***edit*** i just closed and re-opened firefox, and the version of site advisor "updated" itself to 26.6, and i lost the annotations once again at the end of the google search results. this happened right after i closed, and re-opened firefox 3!

i'm baffled.....
ashketchum
Former Member
Message 20 of 40

When I download SiteAdvisor I get the version 26.5. And checking for updates does not update it either. Not sure why though.

If you can, download version 26.6 (using a download manager) and then upload it to a file hosting site like www.mediafire.com and post the link here.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community