cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesD
Former Member
Message 1 of 40

SiteAdvisor and Firefox 3 RC1

I installed FF3 RC1 over FF2 and it told me that the SiteAdvisor plug-in was not compatible and would be removed. It did a search for a compatible version and did not find one.

I manually downloaded and installed 26.5 (build 6256). The install went OK.

Now when opening FF and doing a Google.co.uk search, the McAfee SiteAdvisor button in the bottom right-hand corner is grey rather than the normal green.

If I select McAfee SiteAdvisor > Settings > OK then it turns green but still does not function

Running XP SP2
39 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 40

RE: SiteAdvisor and Firefox 3 RC1

That's not surprising. Nothing is guaranteed when you are using beta products. When Firefox 3 is final I'm sure that last minute adjustments will be made to make it work.
emacee1701
Former Member
Message 3 of 40

I had a similar problem.

Site Advisor 26.3 was working fine in Firefox 3b4 and 3b5. When I updated to 3rc1, I got the same error message. I uninstalled Site Advisor and reinstalled 26.5. The "safe browsing button" in the status bar is working (my regular pages are still green). However, the "safe search icons" do not appear on any search result pages (Google or Yahoo). There is a missing image filler where the icon should be. I can click on that and get the site report page.

Ex-Brit: I have taken the time and trouble to report this because I thought the information might be useful in making those adjustments. Your post gives no indication that you will pass the information Les and I provided to the appropriate people (your response appears dismissive).

I am also disappointed to learn that McAfee intends to wait until "the last minute" - sometime after Firefox 3.0 is released. I would have thought you all would use the Betas and now the Release Candidate (from what I read, this will likely be the only one) to make adjustments, especially since Betas 4 and 5 were working well and many people are using them. You also seem to have missed the point: The current and prior versions of Site Advisor did work in the Betas. Now it fails to work properly with the release candidate.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 40

There is a form here for reporting issues: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=217274

Sorry if I sounded dismissive, but McAfee like almost every other software manufacturer I know of, does not guarantee anything when 3rd party beta products are involved and will not provide support for any issues arising from the use thereof. That's been their policy since time immemorial.
I'm sure that they are working on compatibility with any updates to supported browsers, such as Firefox 3 beta and IE 8 beta.

It's hit and miss if any siteadvisor engineer looks in here, especially at the weekend.
emacee1701
Former Member
Message 5 of 40

Fair enough. I'll use the link you provided. And yes, I do know the risks of using pre-release versions of software (many Firefox extensions don't work yet).

One curious thing: I just noticed that in Firefox 2.0.14 I have Siteadvisor 26.6. In 3rc1 I have 26.5. I tried the extension update and I tried to download Siteadvisor from the SiteAdvisor website and I keep getting 26.5 (not 26.6). I wonder if 26.6 works in Firefox 3rc1 (why I'm not getting it and how I can force it)?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 40

That's strange - it could be that SA displays incorrectly in the beta. I have 26.6 too but am not trying out FF3 yet.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to that one, I could flag this and wait until Monday for someone to answer it if you wish. I doubt that it's possible to force any particular version to install, especially on a beta product.
LesD
Former Member
Message 7 of 40

I don't know what I did but suddenly it sort of started working.

The green/yellow/red icon at the end of the line is just a square and the mouse-over bubble does not work, but clicking on it does.

The best thing is that now the whole line is coloured rather than just the line-end icon.

So, subject to it not stopping, I do not have a problem any more.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 40

LOL, well that's good, let's hope it stays that way. Good luck.
LesD
Former Member
Message 9 of 40

I too cannot find 26.6 - download brings only 26.5

Looking a bit closer at the results I get green and red lines (not spotted any yellows) and then some that are not coloured.

Some have the icon at the end of the line and clicking shows the site as untested.

Others that are uncoloured, the majority of them, do not have the icon.

At the end of the day I am happy.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 40

Using a beta browser, as I stated earlier, will produce unpredictable results.
Those are the risks one takes when using beta products.
McAfee offers no support for their products when installed on 3rd party beta products.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community