cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nawtheasta
Former Member
Message 21 of 36

GBODSA ( Grey Box of Death Site Advisor)

Hello All October 1, 2009
I noticed yesterday that site advisor has quit working. Box in lower right corner is in grey
Several months ago I reloaded Security Center free from Comcast as my paid subscription ran out. As part of the download all older McAfee programs were removed. Installed site advisor and it has been working great until I noticed the grey box yesterday.
I use fire Fox 3.0.14. Site Advisor version is 3.0 I do not know where to look to find the build Info.
System is Windows XP SP2
If I click the find updates button in Firefox add-ons would this reload?
I really would like to get this back as it is a great tool
Any help is appreciated.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 36

RE: GBODSA ( Grey Box of Death Site Advisor)

It can happen sometimes when the SiteAdvisor servers are down. You can check the version number by clicking the arrow to the right of the icon and selecting About from the list. If the arrow's not visible just click to the right of the icon.

If it continues to be grey then try uininstalling and reinstalling. If SA isn't listed separately in Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs then click McAfee Security Center and then select only it for removal.

Then download again from your account or from McAfee's website.
Nawtheasta
Former Member
Message 23 of 36

Thanks ExBrit.
I uninstalled SA 3.0 and reinstalled with version 2.9.258 Seems to be ok now.
Maybe it was a bad update.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 36

Glad it's OK now.
Peacekeeper
Message 25 of 36

We have seen issue with the 3.0.1.149 version seems some install badly. That my feeling as been a few posters saying that but when reinstall they get 2.9.258 and all Ok.
hake
Former Member
Message 26 of 36

I know that SA is freeware but presumably it suits McAfee's purposes to provide it. The more copies of SA are deployed, the more information about websites, good and bad, McAfee gathers so we are giving something back in return for the use of this freeware.

The update from SA 2.6 to 2.8 last year was messy as the developers had made some errors of judgment, since remedied, and SA 2.9.258 works well for me. The track record of SA releases is imperfect, to say the least.

Either SA 3.0.1.14x is fit to release or it is not. If it is ready for release, please release it.

I find that SA 3.0.1.147 works well although I would comment that the new toolbar component lacks the visibility of the one in version 2.9.258. It is very important that it has high visibility because it is intended to warn the surfer of danger. This is an obvious case of style taking priority over function. Brighter and bolder hues are needed.
Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 36

Please feed feedback if you have suggestions. The 3.0.1.147 version has caused issues installing on some PCs which I assume is being looked at. It works fine on mine though I have a beta version of TP4.
hake
Former Member
Message 28 of 36

Where is the place to send product feedback from, please?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 36

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 36

Thanks for filling while I sleep mate
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community