cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trattner
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

SiteAdvisor Plus - Password no longer needed to disable SA+?

Dear All,

A few days back I updated my SA+ on several machines to what seems to be the current version, 3.0.1.164.

Great was my surprise to discover that the "Disable SiteAdvisor" Menu item no longer prompts for a Password (as it used to do for years!).

As this happens on ALL machines having this version installed, I cannot attribute this to the specific setup of any given machine, but only see it as a -- voluntary or mistaken -- change in the product.

Any ideas? Is this "by design" (nowadays) or is it a bug?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion you may have on this matter,

Sincerely,

Eric Trattner

Message was edited by: trattner on 2/15/10 7:09:41 PM IST

Message was edited by: trattner on 2/15/10 7:10:13 PM IST
9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: SiteAdvisor Plus - No more password request for disabling it?

No, you don't need a password simply to disable SiteAdvisor but you do to enable or disable Protected Mode.  I wonder if that's what you are thinking of?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/02/10 9:35:17 EST AM
trattner
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the input.

Indeed, Protected Mode is what I had in mind - the trouble however is that the ONLY Enable/Disable option in the Menu reads SiteAdvisor rather than Protected mode ... (incidentally, that seems to be the case for v. 3.0.1.163, as well)

So, if you know the way, kindly lead.

Thanks again for your help,

Eric

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

You don't see it listed in the drop-down menu?

Capture.JPG

I have the same version as you and mine is OK.  I'm wondering if somehow you've ended up with plain old SiteAdvisor - the basic version?  What does it say when you click "About" in that menu?

In which case you could try a selective uninstallation by selecting McAfee SecurityCenter in Control Panel Programs and just uninstalling SiteAdvisor.

Then go to your account and tell the installer to install it plus your already working components again using the Custom method.

The installer now uninstalls everything first and asks you to reboot to complete the installation, so it's important you select everything you need in the new installation.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/02/10 12:46:12 EST PM
trattner
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the input.

I start believing you might be right there, though I am not really sure how to get out of trouble.

1. Just to be on the safe side, I uninstalled SA from one of the PCs (no need for selective uninstall, as this is the ONLY McAfee product running on that machine), and rebooted the PC;

2. I re-installed the software, by logging into my McAfee account, checking that my license is OK (it IS, until early 2011), downloading a fresh copy of the DMSetup.exe utility (v. 4.0.207), running the said DM (which requested my credentials anew in order to continue) and let DM do its job (it DID mention that it installs SA+);

3. After a new re-boot, I checked within the Browsers (both IE & FF): no change from where I was before starting the whole process, namely:

a. The pop-up Menu looks exactly like yours, EXCEPT the Disable Protect Mode line, which is totally missing (BTW: how did you catch that image?),

b. A Welcome page was opened in my IE, that was consistent with the Plus version (info concerning notification of bad e-mails in Outlook was explained, among other items);

c. The About command pops up the following info (same as yours?):

AboutSA-301164.jpg

d. Trying to "Get the latest version" loads the following URL <http://www.siteadvisor.com/version_check.html?premium=false&client_uid=1434365681&client_ver=3.0.1.1...>

(observe the "premium=false" parameter - might it hint to non-Plus edition?

I've really got no idea where to go from here

Any further suggestion will indeed be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your help,

Eric

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

I get my screenshots using Vista or Windows 7 Snipping Tool except with drop-down menus it's kind of difficult.  I never figured out how to do it in one swoop only by using Snipping Tool alone, so with the drop-down menu in view I click Ctrl-PrtScn, paste the full screen image into Paint and then I use the Snipping Tool to get just that corner.

You have the regular SA not Plus see my "About" here:

Capture.JPG

That webpage is simply a version checker and doesn't differentiate between the types.

What I am not sure about is how one goes about downloading just SA from a Total Protection account as I believe the installer insists on SecurityCenter and at least VirusScan being installed.

Or did you pay for SA separately?

You might want to contact Technical Support Chat about that - Useful Links at the top of this page..

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/02/10 5:32:07 EST PM
trattner
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Seeing YOUR About image, I am now confident that -- indeed -- I have the Regular (rather than the Plus) version of the software.

How this comes about to happen, is a complete riddle for me ...

Notwithstanding, as per your question, indeed I paid for SA+ alone, as a standalone product (and quite a lot of money paid for it for that matter: 1-st year it was reasonable, at just under US$20.00, but then it went up to some US$50.00/year! - for 3 PCs).

As it seems that Tech. Support doesn't really visit these Forums, I'll try to contact them over Chat - hope this will actually help (previous experience was a complete disaster!)

Thanks again,

Eric

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

They do visit on occasion but it's a holiday today so hardly anyone has visited the forums.  Tomorrow I expect to see people posting.   Chat at least is there all the time.

Good luck...!

trattner
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Hi Peter and All,

Well, I've got good news

After several online chat sessions, as well as phone talks (they insisted on calling!) with Support Team Level 2.5, a patch was issued and v. 3.0.1.165 was released to fix the lost "PLUS" version.

So, for whoever might have encountered the same issue (SA instead of SA+ in a version strictly lower than 3.0.1.165):

1. Login into your McAfee Account (at McAfee's Web site),

2. Download and save the current version of the Installer (DMSetup.exe),

3. Using Control Panel's Add/Remove Program's applet, REMOVE the current install of SA,

4. Reboot your PC,

5. Run DMSetup.exe (downloaded at step 2. above) and follow its instructions,

6. Enjoy your new (and hopefully correct) install of SA+

7. Don't forget to configure the utility from its context menu, and to activate its Protected Mode (from the same place).

Good luck to all,

Eric

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Glad it's solved and for posting what did it.  Good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community