cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goorambatman
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

SiteAdvisor - Not IE8 Compatible

I am Beta testing Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 and have found a McAfee plug-in that is incompatible with IE8.

There is an add-on called SiteAdvisor, by McAfee, Inc. V. 2.6.0.0 - this causes the below problem.

When a new window or tab in IE8 Beta 1 is opened it doesn't load.

When I open a new tab it is set to load my 1st home page. Instead it loads
the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. It loads the page
properly if I click home or refresh.

I also have the add on McAfee SiteAdvisor by the same publisher and version 2.6.0.0, this causes no problems.

Im running McAfee SecurityCenter on a Dell PC running Vista Home Premium SP1.
6 Replies
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

RE: SiteAdvisor - Not IE8 Compatible

Have you tried updating the SiteAdvisor to 2.6.0.6261 ?

Be careful, supposedly there is a 2.8 version that's annoying users.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

IE8 is a beta product and as such is not supported. Any issues you have with IE8, or any plug-in or add-on should be reported to the IE8 team.

McAfee has a policy of never supporting the use of their products on any beta application. That does not mean that they aren't testing said products on the beta application and when it becomes final (RTM) then the compatibility list will be updated appropriately once any kinks have been ironed out.

Microsoft Newsgroup for IE8 on the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internet...

In Outlook Express Newsgroups/Windows Mail Communities: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
(Just click and it will open up in that mail client)
goorambatman
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

ok lets hope they are working on this as this is the point of a beta! To get ready for the final release. It's been reported to Microsoft and better be fixed by both parties soon as soon every one will be upgraded to IE8 and there will be a lot of annoyed IE8/McAfee users.

Also my version of site advisor is old? why hasn't it updated itself? SecurityCenter is ment to automatically update itself and its componants.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

From the comments elsewhere in this forum you may not want the latest version as it has some problems in demanding it's own toolbar in Firefox and only being movable to the left of toolbars in IE. They are working on that.

If your stuck with an old version you could force an upgrade by uninstalling completely via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP) Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista).
If it isn't listed separately click "McAfee Security Center" then select it for removal.

Then either go to your online account or http://www.siteadvisor.com/ to download.
mccorma
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Problems with IE8

I installed IE8 the other day from MS update and it turned my Vista laptop into a paperweight. It became extremely slow and McAfee processes were consuming all the CPU time. I removed McAfee and went back to AVG and all is well. I've had numerous issues with McAfee inexplicably hogging resources and worked with their support team, but this was the last straw. So long McAfee, hello AVG. :mad:
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

RE: Problems with IE8

This thread was referring to what was then IE8 beta, which was not compatible. I find IE8 final RTM just generally slow, McAfee installed or not. But don't see any significant difference here whether SiteAdvisor is installed, active or not.

Locking thread as it is old.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community