cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobilefunstore
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

SiteAdvisor :( My Experiance

Just out of shear desperation I have decided to posy my experience with SiteAdvisor on the Forum!

I have just made a new website www.mobilefunstore.com but to my surprise when I visited my own site I got the report from SiteAdvisor :- McAfee TrustedSource web reputation analysis found potential security risks with this site. Use with extreme caution.

Well I was obviously very concerned so first of all turned to my hosting company, having asked my Hosting company to scan the site to which i got a reply back today stating "Safe: This page contains no active threats."

My next course of action was of course to turn to McAfee for help and advice so I emailed and emailed and emailed  McAfee getting nothing back apart from the automated response saying my emails were received and should expect a answer in the next few days.

Finally after almost 2 weeks I got this reply back from McAfee –

Hello Gary,

I'm very pleased to inform that your site mobilefunstore.com has got the Minimal Risk rating and has been categorized as 'Mobile Phone'.

The Link for the same would be http://www.trustedsource.org/query/mobilefunstore.com.

Meanwhile, the site has been queued for testing on SiteAdvisor and will receive a rating soon.

Minimal Risk rating is a safe rating which means the site is safe to visit and use.

If you have any other queries or concerns regarding SiteAdvisor, Kindly get back to us and we will be happy to assist you in resolving the same.

Sincerely,

Arjun

Avert Services

McAfee SiteAdvisor

But more to my surprise no apology, no explanation and even worse SiteAdvisor is still reporting my site as unsafe and to use with extreme caution!

I am sorry McAfee but this isn’t good enough you have already more than likely drove 100’s of potential visitors away and although you deem it now to be safe still in a web search or on site advisor reporting it as unsafe.

Sorry but my opinion of McAfee has greatly gone down

A very disappointed Ex McAfee user

11 Replies
ShawnWallace
Former Member
Message 2 of 12

Re: SiteAdvisor :( My Experiance

Hi Gary,

When I visit your web site I get the grey Site Advisor rating, which means that it has not yet been rated by Site Advisor.  What report are you referring to?

Mobilefunstore
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the reply,

The report Im refering too is what siteadvisor was showing on my site for the last  3 weeks, it has been coming up with the red message like I staded above but on Monday it changed to grey.

Unfortunately that hasnt helped me much with the red message - "McAfee TrustedSource web reputation analysis found potential security risks with this site. Use with extreme caution." having allready been displayed for the last 3 weeks undoubtably driving 100's of potential customers away.

If its true what you said that my site hadnt been rated yet by SiteAdvisor then it was very irrespossible and a mistake on behalf of McAfee which Ive had to pay the conseqences for , for the last 3 weeks.

Again like I said above even after 25 or so emails to Siteadvisor I have had no explanation why my site was being class as unsafe or apology since.

I am just thankful now that siteadvisor is just grey and not warning people away from my site

I hope you can see why I have been so frustrated and angry about this as I am sure many people on seeing the warning would not surf my site or for that matter ever return now.

Regards

Gary

ShawnWallace
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

I can certainly understand your frustration.

I don't actually have any ownership over any of the SiteAdvisor products, but I will forward your message to the appropriate folks internally.

I'm just speculating here, but is it possible that someone owned your domain name before you?  Maybe they let it expire and you bought it later?  I just did a quick WHOIS history on it and I see that it changed around a number of times over the last 4 years.  Perhaps a previous owner had some objectionable content and SiteAdvisor was just caching the old information.

http://whois.domaintools.com/mobilefunstore.com

Message was edited by: ShawnWallace on 3/2/10 4:16:10 PM CST
Mobilefunstore
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Hi again Shawn,

I did check up on previous ownship of the domain name and apprently it was owned about 3-4  years ago but has been dormant since 2008 from what I could tell, but unfortunately still doesnt explain in the lack of communication from McAfee or even to this date a explanation why.

But with regards to you passing this information on to appropriate folks internally, I really would appreciate that, and also would like to thankyou for replying to my post after 3-4 weeks of emails getting  no where, at least some sort of feedback  is really really appreciated

Thanks again

Kind Regards

Gary

SamSwift
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 12

Hi Gary,

It could well be that the previous owners of your URL were responsible for the rating. I'll see what I can find out internally too as my team are directly linked to the Siteadvisor rating folks. Please be aware that for legal reasons we may not be able to disclose full details of previous site behaviour, but I'll do my best to solve the mystery for you.

I'll also chase up the new rating as a matter of urgency for you too.

Sam

Message was edited by: Samantha Price on 3/15/10 11:31:28 AM CDT
Mobilefunstore
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hi Sam,

Thankyou so much for your reply, having had my site red for 3 weeks and now grey for the past week and a half has really put the dampeners on my new site as you can imagine, and has probally scared a lot of potential customers away.

If you could chase up the new rating id really really apprciate it

I got this link sent to me about 2 weeks ago http://www.trustedsource.org/query/mobilefunstore.com and from that looks like its allready been reviewed of some sort.

This experiance with SiteAdvisor hasnt been very pleasant , the worse thing being the complete lack of communication even though i have sent them in excess of 30 emails so your reply is very much apprciated.

Kindest Regards

Gary

Mobile Fun Store

Mobilefunstore
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Well another week has gone by and still no contact from Siteadvisor and still no sign of my site being tested.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 12

I see that it's get a gray "untested" label now so that's surely an improvement.  It probably means that they are about to review it.

Mobilefunstore
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

I certainly hope so and yes it is an improvement yes but still no explanation why my site was red for the 1st 6 weeks, but i am glad it is now gray. But unfortunately the damage is done now a lot of people wouldnt return after seeing it as a unsafe site. I know I wouldnt.

But thankyou Ex_Brit for your reply and hopefully your right a review might be coming soon

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community