cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave-O
Former Member
Message 1 of 1

SiteAdvisor Failure Observations

In an effort to assist McAfee with a solution to the ‘SiteAdvisor Failure Issue’, I would like to post some observations on the subject. While the four solutions offered in the ISSUE: SiteAdvisor spontaneously turns gray and stops responding in IE6 and IE7 thread are good attempts, I found all were ineffective at restoring function to SiteAdvisor. About a week ago, I started noticing that ‘Microsoft Windows Live OneCare’ began to flag SiteAdvisor as a conflicting program. This is a false positive, not unlike the situation with ‘Spybot S & D’. Since I have run both SiteAdvisor & OneCare together since their respective beta dates & never had a problem until the Microsoft Update package of Feb. 13 2008, the problem exist as something new.

On that date, I sent a reply to Microsoft that such exhibited behavior in ‘OneCare’ only further cemented my general overall opinion of their business practices. I also indicated in the reply that I would drop ‘OneCare’ Service, as SiteAdvisor provided a protective element that should have been built-into IE7 in the first place !!

I also have isolated a fact that when I edit javascript jar files that control webpage display, the problem returns. Also, the recent Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 update does not ‘play nice’ with site advisor.

My motive is not to point fingers here, rather to offer the Technical Staff at McAfee something tangible to work with.

The Fix:
If your running ‘SiteAdvisor’, ‘OneCare’, and either refuse or do not have the option of installing ‘FireFox’ and completely removing IE7, here is a solution…

1. Remove ‘SiteAdvisor’ via the Control Panel.
2. Reboot, then have ‘OneCare’ look for the offending program. That should turn the system tray icon green again.
3. Reboot, and install ‘SiteAdvisor’ fresh, go to the settings, and check all the options, especially the connection via SSL.
4. Reboot, and return to this thread to leave your observations.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community