cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mnewborn
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

SiteAdvisor .EXE explanation

I am having a problem with SiteAdvisor conflicting with another application I recently installed on my computer. After doing some troubleshooting I determined that if I run "msconfig" and go under the "Startup" tab and uncheck the "SiteAdv - c:\program files\SiteAdvisor\6261\SiteAdv.exe" and reboot my computer the problem I am having goes away. The SiteAdvisor Service is still running and everything appears to be working correctly in IE 7.0 and FireFox 2.0. Can someone please explain the purpose of the "SiteAdv.exe" startup file and what the implications are for keeping this startup file from running?

Thanks
4 Replies
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

RE: SiteAdvisor .EXE explanation

Dear mnewborn,

We received your message reporting that SiteAdvisor is incompatible with another program and enquiring about the consequences of removing SiteAdv.exe from start-up. Thank you for contacting us.

We would need some more information before we could help you out. Please answer the following questions as it helps us in reproducing the issue in our test environment:-

1. Could you please mention the application that is conflicting with SiteAdvisor? We would also need the version number of this application.

2. Could you please detail the problem you faced? Did your system/application - crash / hang / slow-down? What were the steps involved in causing this problem?

Removing 'SiteAdv.exe' from the start-up, does not have any consequences. 'SAService.exe' (which provides low-level support for McAfee SiteAdvisor) simply starts it again when a browser is launched.

We will try reproducing this issue in our test environment. Once you give us the information we requested we'll get back to you immediately with a solution if possible. Thank you for being a McAfee Customer.

Praveen
McAfee SiteAdvisor Team
mnewborn
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

More Information as Requested

The program that is conflicting is ZoneAlarm's ForceField (v1.0.331.0). See below for details:

Just started using ForceField on my home PC. Whenever I launch Outlook 2003 it starts to open and after a few seconds just shutsdown. There are no log entries in the event viewer. After some troubleshooting I determined it was ForeField causing the problem. Below are some symptoms I am seeing:
1) Scenario 1: Forefield not running / Outlook 2003 will launch successfully
2) Scenario 2: Forcefield just started running (no web browsers running) / Outlook 2003 will launch successfully
3) Scenario 3: Forcefield just started running (launched FireFox web browser) / Outlook 2003 will launch successfully
4) Scenario 4: Forcefield just started running (launched IE 7.0 web browser) / Outlook 2003 will NOT launch successfully
5) Scenario 5: After scenario 4, closing IE 7.0 / Outlook 2003 will NOT launch successfully
6) Scenario 6: After scenario 4 or scenario 5 restarted Forcefield (no IE 7.0 running) or shutting Forcefield down / Outlook 2003 will launch successfully

After additional troubleshooting the problem, I determined that by disabling the "SiteAdv - c:\program files\SiteAdvisor\6261\SiteAdv.exe"" under my startup programs using the "msconfig" program fixed the issue.
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Some more info required

Dear mnewborn,

Thank you for providing us the information we requested. We require some more information to help narrow down the root cause. Please answer the questions listed below:-

1. Is SiteAdvisor Plus or Basic installed on your system? To check this, click on the black arrow mark in the SiteAdvisor toolbar. A drop-down menu would appear. On this menu, check whether an option "Enable Protected Mode" (or) "Disable Protected mode" exists. If this option does exist, then you've SiteAdvisor Plus installed on your system. This could be a cause since SiteAdvisor Plus has a feature which annotates (= site rating icons) links on Microsoft e-mail clients such Outlook 2003 and Outlook Express.

2. Are you using the trial version of ZAFF or the paid version?

3. Are there any other add-ons / extensions installed on your FF browser? If so, please list them

4. Please specify the OS along with the service pack installed on which this issue was observed

5. Are any other security related products installed on your system?

We will try to reproduce this issue in our test environment and get back to you if a solution or a workaround from SiteAdvisor is possible. Else we'll intimate ZoneAlarm if a fix is expected from their side. Thank you again for reporting this issue. We appreciate your efforts very much.

Praveen
McAfee SiteAdvisor Team
mnewborn
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Information as requested...

Praveen,
See your answers below:

1) No I am not running SiteAdvisor Plus.
2) Yes I am using the trial version of ZoneAlarm.
3) In firefox I also have ForceField Toolbar 1.0.331.0, Google Toolbar for Firefox 3.0.20070525W, McAfee SiteAdvisor 26.6, (Disabled) Talkback 2.0.0.11.
4) Running Windows XP SP3 (Media Edition Version 2002)
5) Security Products as follows: ZoneAlarm Forcefield, McAfee Internet Security Center, WinPatrol, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Secunia PSI, Wireshark (WinPCAP), SandboxIE.
6) See below for IE "Loaded Add-Ons" as well:
{CD67F990-D8E9-11D2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE}
Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - File: AcroIEHelper
Bonjour
CBrowserHelperObject Object - File: BAE.dll
Diagnose Connection Problems
DriveLetterAccess - File: DLASHX_W.dll
Forcefield Toolbar - File: TrustCheckerIEPlugin.dll
Forcefield Registrar - File: TrustCheckerIEPlugin.dll
Google - File: googletoolbar3.dll
Google Toolbar Helper - File: googletoolbar3.dll
Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - File: swg.dll
McAfee Phishing Filter - File: mcapbho.dll
McAfee SiteAdvisor - File: SiteAdv.dll
Research
scriptproxy - File: scriptsn.dll
SiteAdvisor - File: SiteAdv.dll
Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration
Spybot-SD IE Protection - File: SDHelper.dll
SSVHelper Class - File: ssv.dll
Sun Java Console - File: ssv.dll
Windows Messenger

Thanks,
Mike
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community