cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michhala
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

SiteAdvisor Compatibility

I am posting here at the suggestion of a respected senior moderator of a respected, spyware and security forum.

I have been successfully using SiteAdvisor free, both earlier and latest versions, with Norton Internet Security 2005. Two days ago I installed Norton Internet Security 2008 and problems began with SA on Google Searches. SA toolbar color alerts and balloons were working but the safe-search icons beside each item stopped appearing. I twice removed the existing SA with MCPR.exe and reinstalled with fresh downloads, but this did not help. After removals, this tool left a lot of entries in the Registry and HD, which I removed manually,

In Task Manager where the previous SA numbers used to be lower, became very high: SiteAdvisor.exe 9272K and SAService.exe 9124K. SiteAdvisor.exe seemed to stay in the 9,000+K range and SAServices.exe would go as low as 7000 +K and as high as 12,012K. If I remember correctly, before this problem occurred and before install of NIS 2008, SiteAdvisor.exe averaged approx 4,000 K.

In NIS 2008, the SA programs were on ‘custom’ and I reset to allow – that did not change anything.

At present, SA is now uninstalled until I find a solution. I miss this program but need it to function correctly with the advance safe-search alerts.

Current Add-ons in IE6: Adobe PDF Reader Helper; Norton Confidential; Show Norton Toolbar; Spybot-Search & Destroy Configuration; Spybot-SD IE Protection; Symantec Intrusion Protection. Security software: NIS2008, Spybot S&D, AdAware SE Personal, SpywareBlaster.

Is there anyone who can give me a clue as to why the safe-search icons stopped working; why SA in Task Manager was so high; and if there are any known problems with SA and NIS 2008, All input that might help troubleshooting will be appreciated.

My thanks.

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP2) Home Edition
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
Verizon DSL
10 Replies
Raja
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

RE: SiteAdvisor Compatibility

You answered your own question. "I installed Norton Internet Security 2008 and problems began "

It sounds like that NIS has a similar plug-in for IE or they are trying to protect IE against SA.
I would open a support ticket with Norton.
michhala
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Reply to Raja

Thank you for your response......I am working with Norton.......however, I have no other problems with NIS 2008. Other than the one with SA as mentioned, NIS performs very well.

I was hoping also for a reply geared towards my concern if it was normal in Task Manager, where the previous SA numbers used to be lower, to have become very high: SiteAdvisor.exe 9272K and SAService.exe 9124K. SiteAdvisor.exe stayed in the 9,000+K range and SAServices.exe would go as low as 7000 +K and as high as 12,012K

Miki
michhala
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

NIS 2008 Norton Confidential is a plug-in that protects from phishing website. Although I think this is causing the conflict with SA, there are those who do not experience any problems -- and there are those who experience worse than my losing the safe-search icons such as IE shutting down.

Miki
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

SiteAdvisor is most likely conflicting with that application. Other things to look at would be Internet Explorer's anti-phishing filter and Content Advisor, both should be off.

You can contact the Siteadvisor team directly using the form linked on the sticky at the top of this forum.
http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=217274
michhala
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Peter -- thank you for all the contact info you provided me in your two posts.

I am now using Internet Explorer 6, which does not have an anti-phishing feature. I will soon be upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, at which time I might have to disable either Norton Internet Security 2008 or Explorer's anti-phishing feature.....and that is when I will start working on the SiteAdvisor's problem. I currently do not have SA on my system....it was time-consuming removing all the files on the HD and in the registry that the McAfee removal tool left behind.

Miki
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

So I can mark this solved I guess.
michhala
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Not exactly.....more like pending -- I had a question about the high numbers in Task Manager for SiteAdvisor.exe and SAServices.exe that was not resolved. I would go along without the safe-search icons as long as the alerts worked from the toolbar, but the resources used by these files concerned me.

Miki
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

The concerns were answered - in that Norton security software was the problem.
They have never played alongside McAfee and probably never will.
michhala
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

My concerns were NOT answered.

I came here for help from McAfee.......I asked a question about the huge amount of resources SA was using and never got a reply.,,,,,,so my concerns were not answered.

I have used McAfee on other computers and have never found their support very helpful. Symantec Support for NIS 2008 replies to my E-mails within 24 hours and their Chat is instant and helpful. They have not pointed the finger at McAfee as the culprit. This is a tactic you might want to consider as a useful tool.

Miki
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community